30. Years To Wait. [FIN]

 ༻ ♡ ♡ ♡ ༺

(a/n : Chapter not proofread.)

"What do you mean I should leave you here and make an escape?" Alhaitham raised his voice as he completely lost his composure. Betrayal and sadness was seen in his eyes as a wall of hydro energy separated the two. 

Y/n only bitterly smiled. "If you leave now, you can return back to the Akademiya and publish a paper about this. You can bring the change I wanted to bring in."

The man had completely lost his cool as he tried breaking the hydro wall Y/n had constructed between the two. His eyes not even for a minute broke away from Y/n's. Each bone in his fingers hurt as he tried to break but it was a futile attempt. 

"What's the point of going back if you aren't there?" He muttered in a low tone. "If you leave with me now, you can publish that paper. You spent so much time on it..." 

Y/n could feel her heart aching from the words Alhaitham spoke. To see him like this was hurting her as well but she had to stay strong. If she falls into his words again, it would only leave them in an endless loop of life and death. 

No matter how many times they are brought back to the world, they will never have the peace they truly wished for. If she reverted the curse Elina had cast upon her people, then the mystery of Elina and Hayi's tale would come to an end. 

If she runs away now, it will forever remain a mystery and so would many other brave future scholars lose their lives in an attempt to correct it. Now was the only shot to change and prevent everything from happening.

But now looking at Alhaitham, she was clear about something. She knew who was the reincarnate of Hayi.

 It was none other than Alhaitham. The dark spirit creature had only attacked Alhaitham because it believed he was Hayi, the very same ruler who the Queen had fallen in love with. The root of their fall. 

Y/n only smiled a little as she was reminded of how she too had eventually fallen in love with Alhaitham. The irony of loving in every life was incredible to her as she never imagined herself to be in such a situation. It was always the scenario in light novels from Inazuma, a fictional writing piece that she never believed in.

Her lips parted as she began speaking. Alhaitham only furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at her. "Then how long do you think, I'll have to live my life as a coward? How many more times must I be born again to ignore a selfish mistake from the past...."

 Her words trailed as she thought of a way to phrase it better. "If I finish things right now and right here, there will be more peace in my next life." She said as she turned on her back to see the mechanism slowly attracting all the spirits. 

The man only remained quiet. The foresight he was given in his dream was right. Elina was none other than Y/n and he was indeed the reincarnation of Hayi. He knew the two had died together and Y/n was only steering the future away from what had happened in the past but at the moment, even he was losing his logical reasoning.

He didn't want her to die alone. He wanted to be the one to die with her. 

Y/n spoke up once more, raising her voice more. "Alhaitham, listen to me. You need to get out of here safely before this place collapses, so go back to Sumeru City and publish the content of the book I have given you. I have written down some connections from what I have observed and you should also include your own understanding in it." 

The man only looked up at her with a gentle expression. She placed her hand over the elemental wall right opposite to Alhaitham's. 

"I am sorry Alhaitham that I cannot accompany you back. As much as I wish to return back and get into a real relationship with you, I cannot. If you and I don't break off right here, I don't know how many times would we suffer in the future by coming here over and over again." 

He knew it was pointless to try convincing her, but she was right.

He only closed his eyes and leaned his forehead forward. Y/n only smiled at him as she too reciprocated the same actions. 

"Make sure to keep the promise you made with me in that town. Live on and try being nicer to others, especially Kaveh." Y/n muttered as Alhaitham finally looked into her eyes. 

"I will." He responded with slight hesitance. He took two steps backward and looked at Y/n who stood across the hydro elemental barrier. 

The entire ruin was rumbling down due to the impact of the three mechanisms that collectively worked together. Old buildings crashed down as the ceiling of the hidden underworld slowly broke down. 

Alhaitham took one last look at her, his heart painfully aching but he had to get out of there to ensure her hardwork doesn't go to waste. 

"Alhaitham!" Y/n shouted his name out. He turned around and looked at her as she spoke out the words, 

"You better be waiting for me in our next life!" She said with a smile, knowing that even in her next life, she would eventually end up with him. A red string tied to both their souls which can never be cut off easily. 

.

.

.

"The ruins collapsed and the two of you had no time to escape? Is that how scholar Y/n died?" A matra who had been investigating the incident asked Alhaitham.

"She could not make it out in time as she wanted to gather an evidence or two to support her thesis. It is what caused the incident." Alhaitham lied to avoid mentioning about what had truly happened. 

The wound was still fresh in him as he could recollect whatever had happened yet he tried his best to keep himself composed. 

Once the Matra was done taking down Alhaitham's point, he asked a final question, 

"Do you have any evidences or anything that could possibly support the thesis scholar Y/n was preparing? You could send it for evaluation if you'd like." 

Alhaitham thought long about it. The book she had given him did contain a lot of hints and notes you jotted down but he wasn't sure if he should just turn it in. 

The Akademiya was one corrupt establishment under Azar and the other six sages. Until they would be taken away from power, it wouldn't be safe to submit Y/n's work as the sages would definitely disregard the thesis, no matter how evident it was. 

He was surely patient enough to wait for a few years till he submits a completely well explained thesis on your behalf.

"No, I do not have any supporting material or evidences to submit." 

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
FINISHED.