4. Farewell for now, Mother.

"I'll be leaving now mother

"I'll be leaving now mother. I'll come back in a matter of six weeks or earlier depending on how long it would take. Reaching there alone would take a whole day's worth of traveling." I said as I sat beside my mother's bed.

Despite the things I said, such as 'Never show your face to me, mother' , she was still my mother. After her condition stabilized, I bought another house at Sumeru City for her and hired a nurse to take care of her. Tighnari agreed to come over once every few weeks to thoroughly inspect her health reports.

"It's only Four past forty minutes in the morning...where are you going now?" Mother asked in a low voice. Her hands moved and caught mine. Her eyes showed weakness and she seemed to have not had proper food in a while too. I was a little startled when she held my hand in hers.

I looked at the black scales that formed as the result of Eleazar. I frowned at the sight of it. "Some random ruins across Sumeru. I have to theorize some works from an ancient civilization." 

"I see....Take care...." She muttered. I nodded as I turned around to get up until her hands forcibly caught mine. 

"Wait Y/n....I'm sorry..." She said as tears rolled out her eyes. "I'm sorry for whatever I did a few months ago.....I might never get a chance to apologize to you..." 

"Don't say things like that mother...I'll be back in six weeks plus your making great progress in recovering." I tried comforting her. 

"No use in saying such things Y/n....I can already see my body has begun to give up one by one. It'll be very soon that I—"

"Mother. I do not want to start my work with a sad thought lingering my mind. Please give me rather a positive thought such as 'I'll be waiting for you to come back, in six weeks.' " 

Mother chuckled a bit. "Go and return back safely Child." She said as she let my hand go.  Before leaving the house, I asked the Nurse to check on her often.

"Please make sure that she eats properly for three times a day. She looks extremely weak at the moment and do get Mr. Tighnari to examine her." I said before leaving. The nurse gave me a nod. 

"Madam....Mr. Tighnari left you a letter yesterday..." The nurse said as she brought forth a letter neatly covered in an envelope to me.

"It is getting quite late for me. I'll read it on my way." I said and left.

Walking towards the meet-up point as instructed by Alhaitham was a silent trip. It was still early in the morning and sun had still not risen. The feeling of walking through the busy streets of Sumeru City was one of it's own kind.

From the elderly to the young kids, the streets were buzzing at all times. Scholars often walked by arguing over pointless academic things, kids played in groups, elderly kept talking about their lives as a young individual. The shopkeepers were seen in bringing fresh batches of hand-picked fruits from all across Sumeru. This was a regular day at the Sumeru City.

There was a warm yeasty smell in the air that was coming from the nearby local bakeries as they were usually up from early mornings. One of the bakers were seen outside, unloading a crate full of ingredients. He saw me and waved his hand. I walked towards him.

"Hey Y/n! What brings you here at this hour? Hm, why does it look like your about to go somewhere." He inquired.

"Ah good morning, I was about to head off for work." I said back.

 "Oh? So you'll be away again. Goodness child, you do travel a lot don't you?"

"Yes I do but I think it's more entertaining than having to sit around reading the same things over and over." 

"Alright alright, whatever makes you the most happiest Y/n. Hey how about you take a bunch of new freshly baked bread? I just prepared them a few minutes ago. I'm certain, you'll love them!" The plump man said with the most honest smile on his face.

"Huh? Please don't bother—"

"Nuh-uh, you've been my regular customer for a long time now so it'll be the greatest honor for me to give you these freshly baked bread. After all your one of the greatest scholars at Akademiya especially at such a young age."

Again.

The same thing. 

Respect over the fact I had a position, over the fact I became someone related to the Akademiya. 

After he gave a bag of some fresh bread, I thanked and walked away lost in thoughts. Despite becoming known, nobody really understood me as me....they only knew me as the wise scholar from Akademiya.

As I slowly approached the city gates, I noticed Alhaitham was already there. He was leaning against the lamp post. The light illuminated from the lamp post highlighted his facial features and his muscular triceps. 

After noticing me coming his way, he moved away from the lamp post and walked towards me.

"You are five whole minutes late." He remarked with a serious look. "A good start, is all I'm going to say.." I choose to ignore his words and walked past him.

His teal green eyes with golden pupils to it followed me as I walked past him. "You did not answer me Miss. Y/n."

"We wouldn't want to get anymore late do we? Let's get going." I said. "And I'm sorry for arriving late, I had some personal work of my own to complete." 

Alhaitham left a hum in approval and began walking along with me towards the desired location.  

What I did not notice is my little envelope slipping away....

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
END

a/n : More Alhaitham and Y/n interactions next chapter!  Thank you for 2.7K reads! 

Join my discord server thanks!!

!!LINK IN BIO!!