24. O'Scribe of Akademiya.

༻ ♡ ♡ ♡ ༺

 ༻ ♡ ♡ ♡ ༺

"Well, where to next?" Y/n asked Alhaitham who was busy reading another useless book that he had bought from a local seller. In fact, he paid double the price to read that book, terming it 'Financial freedom'.

His eyes were glued to the imprinted sentences on the book which he had held close to him. His lips parted after a moment of thinking to respond back. "We'll go directly to the site."

A sigh left Y/n's lips as she lifted the nib of the pen away from the paper that was on her desk, to prevent the ink from bleeding through. She turned around from her seated position and looked at Alhaitham, who was still fixated with his book.

The woman only glared at the man who seemed to show no expressions, maintaining a stoic expression as he flipped through pages. "No twisted routes through muddy swamps or thick forests with Rishboland tigers chasing us?"

"I cannot assure the second part of your question but as for the first, none." he answered in a monotonous tone as he snapped the book shut. His teal eyes looked at her before he went forward with asking her something. "-Is there any problem or is there a disaster that you predict?"

Y/n could only scoff at his comment. "Of course not. Do I look like a student from Rwatahist Darshan?"

"Who said only graduates from the Rwatahist Darshan are only capable of predicting futures? Isn't studying about the past your forte? To study the past and prevent an error in the future must be well within your capabilities as well." He exclaimed as he crossed his arms and leaned back onto his seat.

Y/n only raised an eyebrow in annoyance and tried to somehow smile. Obviously, he was right. To study the past, prevent a mistake in the present and to prepare for the future is what any historian must do.

"...Very well." She responded back and got back to writing on the paper. Hearing him chuckle low from the back made the woman slightly pout as she realized, she did not argue back with him this time.

Not long ago the two would have had words at each other's necks, ready to attack one another. Hence why it felt weird for her to agree and let Alhaitham win an argument.

The room was oddly quiet. Too quiet. All that could be heard were the noises of a pen delicately writing against the rough paper along with periodically timed flips of fresh pages. Well until, Y/n broke the silence off.

"Alhaitham...." She called out his name a little hesitant which gained his attention. He looked up away from his book at you.

"You asked for me?"

"Did it hurt you today? I didn't intentionally wish to throw it at you.. The volleyball—" Right before she could complete her sentence, he interrupted.

"Let the matters in the past remain in the past. You certainly have a huge load of work to finish so I suggest you focus on completing that." He responded back only to find Y/n having her gaze upon him.

"I couldn't apologize earlier hence why I asked." She added on. She did feel slightly bad for hitting him with a volleyball all of a sudden but at the same time she felt he deserved that hit for a very long time now.

"I suppose it did hurt for the first few seconds. It wasn't that bad." Hearing his response, Y/n only left a heavy sigh of relief. He couldn't help but slightly smile at her actions.

"Thank goodness. I thought I'd have to hear you complain about it for the rest of who knows how many days till this mission is over!" she rejoiced with a beaming smile all over her face. 

Alhaitham at this point completely took his eyes away from the printed sentences on the book as he found it hard to keep glancing at her. "Do you really find me that insufferable?" he asked with a little smirk that was tugged on his lips.

Y/n pondered for a minute before answering his question. A smile of sarcasm was plastered onto her face as she began answering, "You are the most insufferable scholar I've ever met. Honestly speaking, there were days at work where I wished to toss you and your attitude into a deep river."

She paused and looked at Alhaitham who only had a slightly surprised look on his face, unlike his usual self as she further added on,

"But I suppose you aren't THAT insufferable as I initially thought you would be. You do have a human side to yourself."

"Ouch." He remarked in sarcasm which caught the woman's attention. She only grinned cheekily in response to his reaction.

"I thought the Scribe of Akademiya did not care about how people perceived him to be." She remarked only to be immediately faced with an answer.

"I do take certain people's comments to heart. It also includes the one who I may have confessed to." He blurted out looking directly into Y/n's eyes until she broke eye contact, turning her head away from facing him.

Right, she was still not over Alhaitham's sudden confession that evening. It felt odd that it was the cold hearted Alhaitham who said those words and not any other man which is why she still couldn't comprehend it.

Nonetheless, she did notice how much Alhaitham changed after that day. He began acting less seriously around her rather than jumping in directly for an argument like they used to in the Akademiya. 

It is odd but in the end she did get the peace and quiet even being around him. Something that she thought was impossible as long as Alhaitham was around her. 

.

.

.

At the break of the dawn, the two had checked out of the lodge walking towards the path that would take them closer to the deserted ruins. Cold breezes flew across their faces as they walked in silence, only hearing the sounds of their heels against the ground, echoing in a distance.

"Are you ready to leave?" Alhaitham asked as he stopped on his track, turning around and looking at the woman who appeared to not have processed the trauma of waking up. She blinked twice at him.

"Eh?" She responded in a confused tone till the answer struck her while Alhaitham only sighed.

She covered her mouth with her hand, yawning as she mumbled in agreement. Right as the two were about to leave, Y/n heard someone shout her name only to be met with Izuru who was running towards her.

"Izuru?! Why are you here? It's too early, get back home-" Before she could complete nagging him, the little boy embraced her.

"Have a safe journey, sister Y/n! And Tall Mister!" He said as Y/n pulled him out of the embrace and smiled.

"Seeya later, kiddo." Was all what Alhaitham said as he looked at the two before him. Y/n only agreed with him.

"I'll come visit you again!" 

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
END

a/n : hello!!  <3 (not proofread because it is 2 am)