Chapter 19: The Funeral

[A/N: Ey guys I hope you like this cause I worked really hard on it. Also switching to no one's POV in this.]

The funeral was two weeks after Jeremy's father had been announced dead, the cause? Severe internal bleeding after a car accident, alcohol was found in his system so no one did anything about it in retrospect it was his fault from the beginning. He had been on parol so he shouldn't have been drinking in the first place, but did that stop him? No. Jeremy was alone now, the most of the rest of his family cared not for his father so they didn't even bother to show up for the service, in fact hardly anyone did. Sure Mike was there but he didn't even have to be asked about it, that answer was clear. There would be no way and no one to stop him from going to the funeral.

Other than him there was a small group of family, only there for Jeremy's sake, one or two kids from school, and the rest were a bunch of his father's drinking buddies. It was quick what they told him, no pain. Jeremy was content with what they told him, he was slightly relieved that he would no longer have to fear constant beatings or fear hardly anyone for that matter, people would know to be gentle with him. People would know the truth. People would know what really went on during those nineteen years. However despite being relieved he still felt sorrow. Sure it was his adoptive father but he still had a few good years with him. Years that were making him regret wishing that he would just keel over and die. Guess that saying was right then...be careful what you wished for.

For hours no one spoke, not even as they lowered the casket. As soon as he was in the ground they started piling the dirt back on the ground the crowd slowly dispersed, a few people remained to talk but not for long. Mike made his way over to the teen standing by the now covered grave, he had barely spoken a word all the way there and at his house and at the funeral home...it was all just too much for him. Where would he go? Where could he go, was a better question. They stood in silence for awhile neither wanting to be the first to speak but it was needed so Mike spoke. "So uh...where are you going to be living?" He asked, he didn't mind if he wasn't spoken to or if he didn't get an answer at all. Mike knew that these things took time.

The younger male shrugged his shoulders, if he spoke he would break. There would be no stopping the tears, or the sobs. Yes his father was a pain but that didn't stop him from providing him with the necessary requirements to live. Even if he was abusive he still cared for him, Jeremy missed him. "If you want you could stay with me!" He offered trying to cheer him up. His effort was however in vain, not much could make today worse but the rain that slowly started to drizzle down did. Jeremy sighed and was about to refuse the offer when he realized he had no other choice. His relatives didn't seem to care what happened to him and he certainly didn't have the money to be living anywhere. All of his checks had been taken by his father for beer and food.

He let out a small sigh and turned to face Mike giving him a small nod as if to say 'Alright', the pair began walking to his car- Jeremy spared one last glance at the grave. He noted to himself that if he let the past lean on him then there would be no reason to look forward to a better tomorrow. And with that Jeremy Fitzgerald let go of the last string of family he could ever relate or possibly talk to. He no longer needed to be reminded of the past, he only needed to be aware of the future and what it held. There was nothing that could change his mind now.