Chpater 6

"Come on, baby girl you got this!" I yelled as I watched Elle run as fast as she could towards me. Emma was just inches behind her and I could tell the girls were slowing down so she'd win.

The second she got to the finish line, she jumped in my arms and squealed in excitement.

"Daddy did you see that! I won!" She grinned breathlessly as I kissed her cheek before throwing her in the air and catching her.

"I absolutely did. You're a born winner." I winked as she giggled and climbed up on my shoulders while Ben reached over and put the gold medal around her neck. "You girls did amazing." I said to Ariana, Valentina, and Emma as they stood up on their tiptoes to high five me.

It's crazy to me how much older the girls have gotten, they can speak in full sentences and are so much more mature for their age. They're like Elle and Emerson's older sisters while Hayden, Hudson, Easton and Kai are their brothers.

They're the youngest in the family and the most adored by far. Not just by their aunts and uncles, but their cousins too.

"Dad it's my go, watch me win!" Emerson shouted from the starting line in our backyard as the boys all lined up.

"Emmy, Emmy, Emmy." Elle and I cheered as he ran as fast as he could on our makeshift racing track and immediately dropped to the floor the second he got back to us, and won.

All the kids are sleeping over including the two teenagers who didn't need much convincing. The sight of Elle and Emerson's puppy eyes was enough to convince them, though I have a feeling they would've said yes anyway.

Ever since she passed, the kids have been closer than ever. They always FaceTime me throughout the day and ask to see the twins. They get their parents to drop them off at my apartment or 'kidnap' the twins for them. They're all stuck to each other with superglue and I couldn't be more happier.

"Dinner!" Athena yelled from the sliding door as everyone immediately ran inside.

The sun is already setting and I can see the kids slowly lose little energy. It only means that dinner with refuel it and make them crazier than ever.

Soon enough everyone was seated at the large dining table and started serving themselves. We made sure to have at least one dinner every two weeks and so far we've had one every single week. A part of me was afraid I'd drift away from our family, not see them as much as we used to, but if anything I see them so much more than I ever did and I'm a lot closer with them too.

Halfway through dinner, Ben's phone rang and Athena instantly shot him a glare. He kissed her forehead and answered the call while leaving the loud dining room.

"Daddy, can you get me some more apple juice please?" Elle asked with a mouthful of chicken nuggets.

Just like her mother, she hates pasta. Anything pasta she will not eat it, however Emerson loves it.

I remember when Athena made spaghetti bolognaise and Elle had her hand over her mouth the entire time because she couldn't stand the smell of it, forget eating it. I've never seen Athena so happy to leave her dinner half way and make chicken nuggets.

Getting up from my chair, I picked up the four empty glasses and made my way into the kitchen.

"...no improvement?" I heard Ben sigh as my footsteps slowed down. "Let me know when she's...okay, I'd like to speak to her." He said softly as I made my way into the kitchen and watched as he came in moments later.

A look of surprise overcame his face but it soon disappeared as he sat down on one of the stools while I poured the apple juice into the glasses.

"How is she?" I asked after a couple moments of silence.