Chapter 30

We are back with Everly's POV from this chapter onwards

Somethings not right. I can feel it in my gut and I can smell it in the air. Something is either horribly wrong, or something happened and I don't know. Either way, I'm definitely missing something but I don't know what it is.

Yesterday when I had first woken up Mason looked as though he aged a good few years. Not in an old man way, but in a more mature and grown way. His face wasn't freshly shaven like I remember it being and he looked a lot bigger, more muscly. He looked more manly, not that he wasn't manly to begin with, but just...more. Maybe I'd blame it on hitting my head too hard, but when I saw dad, Austin, and Aiden, my suspicions only grew.

Dads forehead wrinkles were more prominent and his beard was more grown, I swear I saw a good few amount of white hairs. Not dramatically, but noticeably enough. Aiden looked ten times more mature in the sense that his mischievous nature was long gone, and replaced with a grown mature man. Austin however looked more or less the same, but there was still something different about him. There's something different about all of them but I still can't figure it out.

When I asked the three of them why they looked like they aged five years in a week, they gasped in disbelief and pretended to be hurt. Apparently you should never comment on how a man looks like he's five years older than he actually is. Whatever that means. Maybe they were stressed? People do tend to look more worn out when they're stressed over something.

It could just be me feeling a little off and having not seen them for an entire week, but then Mason left. There haven't been too many times where I've been at the hospital, however whenever I have, Mason stays by my side day and night. Sure his excuse to watch the twins while mom came to visit would have worked, if I didn't know that I have three sisters and Jenny next door that would gladly watch them. It seemed as though he needed an excuse to leave but I don't understand why. Why would he want to leave? He's always been so protective over me and worried over every little thing, so why would he need an excuse to leave?

I could feel the dull ache in my head grow more prominent by each passing second. True to his word Mason had called me at midnight and stayed on the phone with me the entire time. I could hear soft snores every now and then thinking it was Mason, but it turns out Emma and Easton were sleeping over and decided to climb into bed with him. I could see the tops of their heads and all I wanted to do with climb in with them. It again raised the question on why he needed to watch the twins if Rachel was also staying over, but I ignored it and waved it off. 

Mom ended up coming an hour after Mason had left while Austin left for the night much to his dismay. Dad tried to get Aiden to go too but he simply ignored him and stayed glued to the couch. The four of us were wide awake and Mason looked ready to fall asleep, I suggested hanging up a million and one times but he instantly shut it down saying he wouldn't be able to sleep if I did. I love him.

Mom and dad left at around two in the morning because of an emergency in the ER leaving Aiden, Mason and I. For some odd reason, they looked relieved when they left. As though they didn't want to stay for much longer than they already had. I'm being dramatic. I know I am.

"Mason you're going to wake my niece and nephew up." Aiden whisper yelled as Mason rolled his eyes.

"They're knocked out cold you know they're not waking up." He scoffed.

Just as Aiden was going to say something, we heard soft whimpers coming through the phone. Mason instantly put his phone down somewhere, showing us nothing but the ceiling.