Chapter 36

"Daddy is it surprise time yet?" I heard Elle groan in annoyance as their footsteps drew closer and closer.

"Careful you almost sound like you don't like spending time with me." Mason said and I instantly heard the twins start to protest.

"We love you daddy but we love surprises more." Emerson said apologetically. I don't blame them, I love surprises more than Mason too.

"Fine, if that's how it is. I guess the surprise can wait longer." He teased. I could almost imagine them attacking him for even suggesting such a cruel thing. How dare he make them wait so long for a surprise?! Does he do this all the time? I bet they love it every time he has a surprise for them.

"Daddy!" The twins cried as Mason's deep chuckle filled my ears.

"Okay fine." He chuckled. "Before I give you both your surprise, we need to have a chat and then you can do whatever you want." He said, sounding more serious but very soft at the same time.

"Daddy is this about Jules again? Because we chatted about this before and I don't like her." Elle huffed. Who was Jules? Was Mason seeing someone in these five years? I mean I wouldn't blame him but it still stung a little.

I can't imagine another woman being involved in my kids lives, filling in the missing role of their mother. Not only that but being a partner to Mason, his support system. That's been been me ever since we first met, we've been each others person. But what if Mason met a new person?

"No baby it's not about Jules, and you need to let that go she's not as bad as you're making her sound." He chuckled and my baby girl instantly scoffed in disbelief.

"How. Dare you. Daddy. How dare you take her side over mine?! She was only kind in front of you and then boom when you're gone she's the wicked witch of the west!" She said in disbelief.

Which bitch had the audacity to be horrible to my baby girl? I was seconds away from ripping open the cardboard box I was stood in and starting an entire FBI investigation. Whoever had the balls to say anything to my little girl can try it with me and see if they don't walk away alive.

"We'll talk about this later, but for now I need to talk to you guys." He said softly. Elle mumbled something inaudible under her breath while I bit back a laugh. She's definitely her mothers daughter.

"Daddy! Is this our surprise?! What's in it what's in it!?" I heard Emerson squeal in excitement, sounding so much closer than Mason and Elle.

"Oh. My. God. Daddy! Is that a new Barbie dream house? How did you know I broke my old one?!" Elle shrieked. I could literally imagine them jumping up and down in excitement.

"No it's not a Dream house...wait you broke your old one? I got that for you just last month my love what happened?" He asked in disbelief. "Okay okay off topic, another thing for later. Now back to our conversation please." He sighed as their footsteps slowly retreated away from the box I was in.

I was nervous. I was sweating. I was taking in deep breaths. My heart was pounding in my chest. I've never been so nervous in my entire life. What I experienced yesterday when meeting the entire family is nothing compared to this. I don't know what to expect. Will they hate me? Will they love me? What questions will they have? Will they want nothing to do with me? I just don't know.

"Remember the conversation we had about mum?" Mason started. It's happening. It's really happening.

"Yeah, she's an Angel that watches over us." Emerson replied.

"And she fights the nightmares before they come to us." Elle giggled and a smile instantly made its way to my face.

"Right, and when I told you guys that it was the truth for us. You know how sometimes we have to believe things but they're not always true, but we don't know that because we think what we know is the truth?" Mason said nervously. I barely understood what he said I have no idea how the twins are taking it.