Chapter 40

"You're the best!" I grinned, wrapping my arms around my dad and squeezing him as hard as I could. He let out a deep chuckle returning the hug but I didn't expect him to hold me tighter than I held him. "Can't...breathe..." I wheezed out as he instantly let me go and shot me an apologetic smile.

"Sorry doll, sometimes I still can't believe you're back." He said with a sad smile as I wrapped my arms around him once again.

"I'm sorry you had to live life without me, I don't know how you people survived but you did." I said both jokingly but seriously.

"Neither do I, doll, neither do I. It's been the hardest five years of my life and I've lived a lot of life." He chuckled, I couldn't help but feel responsible. I know it's not my fault, I've been reminded a million and one times that it's not, but seeing the raw pain in everyone's eyes when they see me and talk to me, I can't help but feel responsible. They got played so dirty, first I was taken and they were all pulling their hair out trying to find me. Then they found me and felt that relief that I was with them and safe, but I was rushed to the hospital to have two babies after the trauma we had just went through. And then last but certainly not the least, they could finally breathe knowing I was alive and well and so were our babies, but only hours later I was 'dead'. That kind of trauma lasts for a lifetime.

"What day are you free this week, we have a daddy daughter day?" I grinned in excitement as I pulled away from the hug and watched his face light up.

"We can do Thursday, Athena's taking the day for me so she can have Friday off for the boys' games." He said as I jumped in excitement.

"That's even better, I'll go to the games with her too!" I squealed just as the twins came running down the stairs with their overnight bags thrown over their shoulders.

"We're ready!" The twins said breathlessly as they shoved they bags at dad before wrapping their arms around my legs.

"I'll see you tomorrow just in time for the birthday party." I said, crouching down and kissing the tops of their heads. "And I'll make sure you record daddy's special midnight surprise so I can show you." I winked as they both grinned in excitement.

"Shall we pick up the cake with Papa so we can test that it's perfect for daddy?" Elle asked as I bit back a laugh.

"You'll have to ask Papa." I shrugged as they both gave him their irresistible puppy dog eyes.

"Why don't we bake a cake with Gigi as a back up in case daddy doesn't like his real one?" He suggested. Athena has always loved baking, ever since I was a little girl myself she has always baked and passed down her grandmothers recipes to me. It warms my heart seeing her do the same things with my kids, she never once made me feel as though I was Ben's little sister, she used to call me his little girl long before I started calling him dad.

"Let's make cupcakes instead, that way we can have as many as we like without anyone knowing if there's any missing." Emerson said, looking so proud of himself that he had thought of that. Elle gave him a high five and instantly nodded while I rolled my eyes in amusement.

"Say bye to mom kiddos, we gotta get going before Gigi bites my head off for being late again." He said, lifting them up in each arm.

Walking up two steps on the staircase, I kissed their cheeks one last time before waving goodbye. This is the first time they've gone for a sleepover since I've been back and I can't help but want them back. They've been glued to my hip and I feel...cold without them here to cuddle with me or ask me questions or just simply give me their company.

Once they were gone, I looked up at the clock and let out a breath. I only had two hours before Mason would be back from work and in that time I needed to set everything up. I had already asked him to bring home pizza for us to eat since the kids had tired me out for the day so dinner was done. All I needed to do was decorate the backyard and get our outfits ready.