Chapter 19: In Which Something Might Happen

~~~~

If I write too much more filler, my brain will explode and writer's block will eat me alive, so something relatively important will have to happen in this chapter. 

Or at least something violent. :)

Also, there is a His Dark Materials reference in here. Props to anyone who can find it.

Cw: violence, blood

~~~~

Grian's pov

Grian woke up in the worst way possible; being hit slashed just above his hips by a shadowman and loud screams from his friends. The wound on his lower side was now bleeding. He jumped up and flew away from the sleeping bags to eat and put his ear plugs in before rejoining the fight.

Once he jumped back into the havoc, he saw that there were not one, not two, but three shiekermen, as well as at least seven normal shadowmen. Well crud.

The builder grabbed his water bucket and dumped it on the shadowman closest to him's back. On the other side of it, False kicked water into its eyes. Another splash from Xisuma and it was dead. One down, nine to go.

A few meters to his left, Sacr and Tango were taking down one of the shiekermen. Tango took a nasty blow to the face. Bet that didn't feel great.

Grian was pulled out of his thoughts when a hard blow hit his right wing. He spun around to find himself face-to-face with the second shriekerman. He reflexively punched it in the head, just to have his first go straight through. He was fairly certain that he was dead.

Luckily, Mumbo hit it with a huge splash. The two of them managed to take it out. When the eye exploded, Grian was very glad that he had the ear plugs. Even the tiny amounts of sound that got through were awful.

The avian quickly glanced around. Tango and Scar had just finished off the shriekerman they had been fighting. Tango's general face was now bleeding profusely, although Grian couldn't see where from since Tango was covering most of his face with one hand. Pearl, X, and False had managed to take out the other shadowmen. All that remained now was the last shriekerman. 

In perfect synchronization, they all dumped their buckets on it, killing it instantly.

As the adrenaline rush wore off, a wave of pain smashed into Grian. He suddenly was aware of the blood on his side and wing, and the various little and not-so-little nicks and scratches that covered him.

The others all looked just as bad. Tango had a deep slash across his face that cut through one of his eyes.

Pearl had a deep wound on one arm and had lost her pinkie and ring finger on her left hand.

False was probably the best off of them, having escaped with a handful of slashes and bruises on her body that weren't too severe. All though, that measurement was up against missing eyes and fingers.

Xisuma had several injuries on his torso. 

Scar had a good sized chunk taken out of his right ear, and a deep scrape along his left calf.

Mumbo had blood coming from his right shoulder and arm, and a broken wrist.

"Well, that's not how I wanted to start my day," Mumbo said. He was clutching his wrist and grimacing.

"I was having a fantastic dream about creepers made out of cotten candy before the stupid shadowmen woke me up," Scar commented. He was handing out healing potions and trying to apply antiseptics, bandages, a splint, and stitches with what little supplies they had.

Once everyone had eaten and gotten some medical attention, they packed up and continued onward. They were about two thirds of the way there.

Mumbo's pov

Around what would have likely been 11 am or so if a day and night cycle existed in this dimension, the seven were still traveling through the server End.

Mumbo was, to say the least, tired. He had taken so much damage from the ender pearls that he was fairly sure his feet were falling off. His right arm had become a constant area of dull throbbing. Maybe trying to block that one shriekerman blow with my arm was a bad idea.

The redstoner threw his ender pearl and braced for impact. A second or so later, the familiar harsh pain of teleporting shot through his legs.

"Owwww," he groaned. Several of the others let out similar sounds.

"I'm never going to be able to look at ender pearls the same ever again," Tango said, rubbing his sore feet.

"I am never going to use them for long travel after we get back to the server," Pearl swore.

"Oh my gods it will be so nice to get back to server. It'll be so nice to see something besides endstone, void, and possessed endermen," False said, rubbing her forehead.

"And we can all get actual medical supplies," added Pearl, "No offense to you, Scar. I didn't think it was possible to give stitches with bits of wool and carrot shreddings."

Tango added, "We'll get to see the others."

"And sleep in a real bed," Grian said.

"I'll get to see Jellie!" came from Scar.

"And not routinely have our feet brought to the point of massive stress fractures," Mumbo listed.

They all sat down and rested for a little.

Mumbo was leaning back on some chunks of endstone when he heard an odd sound behind the group, like something inhaling. Must just be the wind. He went back to massaging his arm.

Wait, there is no wind in the End.

He turned around to see another haunting of shadowmen and shriekermen behind them.

"Run!" shouted the redstoner.

~~~~

Well, their traveling period was supposed to be four days long, but now it's probably going to be three because writer's block hit me like a truck.

     -Meep

~~~~