Vertigo

My landlord holds out the bouquet of white, pink, and blue roses, "Please just hear me out..."

"Be quick..." I say irritated.

"I brought you these apology flowers— I'm really sorry for the way I acted— there's no excuse... I just hope we can move past this all." They hand me the flowers and I take them.

At least these smell nice.

Before I can say anything, Donatello pushes me out of the way and confronts the landlord.

"How flattering..." he says with gritted teeth. "Where did you get those? Your local grocery store?!"

"Holy shit!" the landlord shouts while backing away, "I-It's you! Look I don't want any trouble!" they say with their hands up.

"Neither do we. Bye." He slams the door in their face.

"Donatello!" I say.

"What?! Why would you even give them the time of day?!" he complains.

"I know but in case you forgot that's my landlord— I'm not trying to be homeless!"

He crosses his arms, "I'd never let them get away with doing that..."

"Just sit there and look pretty alright? I can handle this myself." I say.

He exhales, "Fiiiiiiinnneeeeeeee..." he says dramatically.

I open the door again, and still see my landlord standing there creepily. "Sorry about that." I say, "Um I accept your apology... just don't ever break in here again... or sexually harass me... and actually maybe only bother me about the rent..."

They nod sincerely, "I understand." They look behind me and gulp. I quickly turn around and Donatello immediately looks up at the ceiling innocently.

I knew that fucker was threatening them behind my back.

Donatello slowly trails his eyes over to mine and knows I've caught on. I furrow my brows at him.

He throws his hands up and walks away as in 'fine, I'll stop.'

I turn back to my landlord, "Sorry." I whisper, "But I appreciate the apology, that was real nice of you..."— and also the bare minimum.

"It's the least I could do (y/n). Plus the sweet smelling flowers reminded me of you! Have you smelt them yet?" they ask.

"Oh yeah I have. They do smell nice, thanks." I say.

"Good." they say.

I slowly nod my head.

"Well I better get going then. See you later." they say as they walk off.

"Bye!" I shut the door, "Fuckin weirdo." I mutter. Although I was grateful they did make an unexpected pop in— anything to stop that awkward argument Donatello and I were having. We needed the distraction.

"tHeY dO SmELL niCe ThaNkS" Donatello mocks from the couch.

"Ohhh shut up..." I say, "I was trying to be nice. I recommend you give it a try."

"Okay but don't you find it a little odd they said 'see you later'?" he asks.

"Yes actually— I find everything about them odd Donatello! We already know something is clearly wrong with them so stop being so damn paranoid!" I walk over to the kitchen and pull out a vase from the cabinet under the sink. I fill it with water, place the flowers inside, and set it on the counter.

"Ugh, displaying gifts from the enemy? You're kidding, right?" he says, "They aren't even that pretty... I bet they were plucked from alongside the curb..."