𝟬𝟭𝟰 a long way from home

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.
a long way from home

( tw! may contain mentions of suicide and self harm )

THE JOURNEY TO Mexico seemed to last forever. At least that's how it felt in the mind of Marina Diaz. The longer the journey down the dark and gravely roads took, the more nervous the girl quickly became. In the past few hours she had received countless texts from her mom, Tory, and even Iris, but mostly her mom, who had to be worrying herself sick after coming back to an empty home, and a note saying her two children had gone to Mexico to search for their dad, who they've never met before. It had to be more than enough to drive someone mad. She just hoped her mom would understand why her and Miguel had to do this — to get some sort of closure.

During the long and perilous journey from the past two days, it had mostly been spent in silence. Marina and Miguel didn't have too much to talk about. Despite the fact that they apologised to each other, and forgave one another for the things they've done to hurt the other, there was still so much they needed to discuss. However, between leaving for Mexico and the overwhelming anxiety they both felt, knowing that they would be meeting their dad in a matter of hours, well, it didn't give them much time to actually talk. But Marina was okay with that. She knew her and her brother were on the right path. It was just a matter of time before they aired out all of their dirty laundry to one another.

And so, Marina decided to fill the void of time by going over in her head what she would say to her dad once her and Miguel found him. There were many thing she wanted to know, like, why he left them, and if he regretted not being in the picture when he had the chance. She felt as if she was owed a reasonable explanation for seventeen years of abandonment from the one person who could've made a difference in her life. Marina needed to know if she was the problem, if there was something wrong with her that made her dad leave and never come back. Marina never knew the truth before, but she had to know the truth now while she had the opportunity to go out and get it.