Chapter 44 - Law

Hereafter, Ranasa(Pratap's father) will be referred as Baabasa,  Ranisa(Pratap's mother) will be referred as Maasa and Jaiwanta Bai will be called by Pratap and Anamika as Badi Maasa.

Pratap went into deep thought. Anamika let him think without disturbing him but after sometime, she once again cheered him up regarding Abhimanyu's arrival.  For now they kept those worries aside and just thought about tomorrow when Abhimanyu will reach the palace.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning everyone was waiting at the entrance to welcome Rajkumar (Prince) Abhimanyu, the future Yuvraj (Crown Prince). Abhimanyu was received at the Gurukul by the commander-in-chief once again and reached the Palace. As soon as he climbed down his horse, he went towards his mother first and bend down to touch her feet and took her blessings. Anamika had happy tears in her eyes and unlike the time of his departure, she didn't even try to hide her tears this time. Previously she had to be her son's strength rather than his weakness by being emotional but now there is nothing to be worried about. She kissed his forehead and her eyes held her pride. The only words she said were,"My Sher! You became thin". Abhimanyu chuckled but in reply he just hugged her to his heart's content. Then he took his father's blessings and was given a tight man hug by his father.  Pratap looked at his own younger version infront of him. He used to get reports about Abhimanyu's performance at the Gurukul very often and all his son's achievements made him feel proud to be his father.  Abhimanyu saw a young girl of his age beside his father who resembled his mother more.  Without a doubt, he identified his twin sister and asked her,"How are you, Prati?". She replied,"I'm good, Bhai (Brother). Happy to see you back here".  He patted her cheeks and placed a kiss on her forehead and then he met Adityaraj who is scheduled to depart for his Gurukul education in a few months.  Adityaraj touched his brother's feet to take blessings and then the brothers hugged and exchanged wishes before Abhimanyu bend down infront of two boys who barely reached his hips. Both the 5 year old boys silently took their eldest brother's blessings following Aditya's actions. Abhimanyu chuckled at their cute actions and hugged them both together and gave a tight kiss to their cheeks. He then asked,"Now tell me your names?". He couldn't identify who is Ajay and who is Abhay, although they are non-identical twins.  After they got introduced, Abhimanyu went to his grandparents, who looked rather older than the last time he saw them. His grandfather's health was greatly affected which inturn impacted his grandmothers as well. Everyone went for the grand lunch arranged for the welcome ceremony.

The twin boys were so silent and kept looking at Abhimanyu secretly while eating. Abhimanyu noticed their actions but didn't embarass them by asking about it. Pratap and Anamika also looked at the little boys who usually talk nonstop during meal time, are eating silently. All the items were according to Abhimanyu's taste and his favorites. After lunch, everyone went towards their rooms, while Abhimanyu was laying on Anamika's bed with his head on her lap. Pratap was sitting aside looking at the duo and then said, "Abhimanyu, I think it's time for you to take your responsibility as Yuvraj of this empire. I was crowned as Yuvraj while I was very young but your mother didn't want you to take that as a privilege by birth. That's why we let you work hard for reaching that position and now I do think that you are qualified enough. So How about having the crowning ceremony in a few days?". Abhimanyu nodded at his words and agreed with his father. After all, he has been working hard for this. Anamika continued,"My Sher already became a young man. And after the ceremony, we have to search a bride for him, if he had not searched already". She looked at her son to see his reaction but he simply laid with closed eyes, without any other reaction. Anamika pouted on not seeing a blush on his face and thought, "My Sher really became very serious person". They didn't continue the talk anymore and let their son sleep for sometime in the afternoon. After his sleep, Abhimanyu went towards his chamber to freshen up. As soon as he entered his own chamber, he saw that his clothes were already laid out on the bed along with the jewels. Abhimanyu knew that it's his sister who did this, as he used to wear the clothes selected by her everyday before he went for gurukul. After a bath, Abhimanyu was wearing the jewels kept for him when he noticed in the mirror reflection that the little boys were peeking on him from the door. He called them inside which they did hesitantly. Then he lifted them one by one and sat them upon the bed while sitting between them.  He started to talk with them by asking questions about their routine and likes and dislikes. Soon the kids became normal with him but they didn't dare to be naughty with their eldest brother. Later Pratiksha came to the room while checking for these two boys who should have been in their room after napping but were not there. Soon it became siblings time when Aditya also joined them in the chamber.

The next day, court commenced and everyone welcomed their future Yuvraj with great appreciations and other greetings. And the pending cases hearing started, which put forward the previous case of one of the ministers and his two wives. Pratap already thought about the issue deep and hard last night and came to a conclusion. But since it's Abhimanyu's first time in court, he asked for his opinion. Abhimanyu said,"Clearly all the proofs are showing that both the wives have committed the crime of killing the other's son. So they should be convicted of the murder and the punishment for the same. But apart from that the murdered person is one of their own family member which makes their actions unethical and traitor among the family. So for that the punishment should be that of a traitor which will be cutting their heads off infront of all".  Pratap nodded at his son with a satisfied smile and declared the same as his judgement for those women and as far as the minister's issue of heir is concerned, Pratap proceeded with further judgement, "Regarding the matter of heir, there are certain changes which are to be made in our existing age-old laws.  So I have some ideas about the necessary changes  and here are those new changes.  The new law would be that hereafter polygamy will be illegal. Every man must have only one wife, if he wants to marry. I know that there are some valid reasons for people to go for marrying more than one woman. One, if the wife is dead, he is allowed to marry again. Two, if the couple couldn't have a child or heir and if they are willing then they can go for adoption. If they are not willing for adoption, the man can marry again but only after relieving his wife from his marriage. The wife will be sent to the Ashram(Orphanage) which is already working for the support of widowed wives of martyred soldiers, by teaching them handcrafts and other things which can help them earn livelihood, under Ranisa's supervision."

Looking at the courtroom for any defiance of his orders, Pratap continued, "For the implementation of this law, there are some other laws which are to be implemented following this one. That is legalization of adoption and adopted heirs having inheritance, legalizing female heirs and-", till now the entire court was silent. But soon the silence turned into chaos when Pratap finished his statement, "legalizing remarriage for women either widows or those relieved from previous marriages".

Anamika was not surprised as these are the same laws which were implemented during the previous lifetime, may be this time it's a little late than the last time but that's fine as long as it is implemented. Pratap showed his hand to the people, signaling them to be silent and said, "I know that this was not expected by you people. But if I'm giving a way for men to remarry for heirs then there should be an equal opportunity given for women to remarry. You should be glad that the remarriage option is given for widows and those relieved from marriages, not the ones who don't like their husbands".  People fell silent on that. But during the years after women started practicing sword, parents view about daughters being fragile and soft changed. After Pratap conquered all other Kingdoms of Hindustan, the laws are implemented throughout Hindustan, like the sword practicing academy for women which is opened in all provinces with the teachers being old students of Anamika.

Pratap continued in the court,"Coming to the minister's case, his daughter is still alive. So she could be identified as legal heir. Even if Minister wants a male heir for continuing his bloodline, he can remarry and get a son. But still the new law stands that daughters are also legal heirs and their inheritance should be given accordingly. And I appoint Rajkumar Abhimanyu as the incharge for documenting all these new laws and present the draft in the court within a week. And the important point to be noted, all these laws will be applicable for the Royal family as well".  Saying so Pratap dismissed the court and postponed other cases.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.