Chapter 45 - Epilogue

Hereafter, Ranasa(Pratap's father) will be referred as Baabasa,  Ranisa(Pratap's mother) will be referred as Maasa and Jaiwanta Bai will be called by Pratap and Anamika as Badi Maasa.

Pratap dismissed the court and postponed other cases.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Soon the crowning ceremony of Yuvraj came and Abhimanyu was crowned as Yuvraj.  It was quite a small ceremony with only the royal family members and the ministers of the court.  Likewise a few months went by and Adityaraj also went for Gurukul. And the talks about Pratiksha's marriage was started by Anamika.  When Pratap and Anamika were clear that Pratiksha doesn't have anyone of her choice, they started to search for the groom.  Among various qualities, the most important which they are looking for is, bravery as a warrior and respect for women.  According to them, a person who respects women would never mistreat their daughter and as in the case of arranged marriages, love will grow eventually.  Finally they liked one of Abhimanyu's senior by one year, from Gurukul who is the next heir of the neighbouring province.  The groom's family was invited to the palace for the engagement ceremony, which will be followed by marriage after seven days. So the important subordinate kings of the provinces, which are under Pratap's reign, were invited. Malhar Rao along with his two daughters, Ahilya Bai and  Lakshmi Bai came for the ceremony, while his wife stayed back due to her health issues. 

It was still two more days for the engagement ceremony and nine more days for the marriage of Pratiksha and Gaurav Geikwad.  Ahilya was simply strolling in the corridors as she was so free without any works and also the women academy was given holidays for sometime.  Suddenly she was pulled in the nearby chamber and due to the force, she went in few more steps inside the chamber.  Before she could turn back to see who it was, she heard the door lock. When she turned back, Abhimanyu stood there infront of the door and looked at her. Ahilya asked while stuttering, "Yu... Yuvraj, what ar...are you doing?".  Abhimanyu took a step forward which made her take a step back. Her breathing was heavy which made him smirk. He stopped one feet away from her when she was stopped by the wall and asked, "So where is my gift?".  Ahilya looked here and there, not answering his question. Later she replied softly, "Wh...what gift? I..I don't know". Abhimanyu chuckled at her scared face and said, "The gift which you promised to give after my coronation as Yuvraj, in one of the letters which was sent to my Gurukul. You never miss the chance to send me letters, do you?".  Ahilya sighed silently and said while looking down, "It is in my room".  Abhimanyu replied, "Then let's go to your room. Shall we?".  As all others are involved in marriage arrangements, no one was there which made it easy for them to go. Once inside her room which is within their shared chamber, she took the gift which is a handmade shawl embroidered with golden threads all over it. She handed it to him which he denied. This made her feel sad thinking that he didn't like the gift but later he said, "Put it on me, yourself". Ahilya stared at him astonished by his request or rather say an order. Shyly she put it on his left shoulder and came behind him to put the other end on his right hand. She felt satisfied on seeing him with her gift.  Abhimanyu said, "My mother had taught me that, if I receive any gift then I should give something in return". She don't have any idea what was going in his mind. 

Suddenly he took out a ring from his ring finger and held out his other hand for her to give her hand. She hesitantly placed her hand over his, with her palm facing the ceiling, expecting him to give the ring to her.  He smilingly turned her hand and slided the ring onto her ring finger.  Ahilya was stunned because exchanging rings only happens between couples.  Abhimanyu explained himself, "Consider this as our 'Gandarva Vivah'(Marriage without rituals but still acceptable ). As soon as Prati's marriage is done, I will talk to my mother about our engagement. But our marriage may take a few more years. That's why, I'm doing this Gandarva vivah. This ring is my promise to you and a warning to other men who wants to pursue you".  Ahilya shyly nodded at him. Abhimanyu chuckled at her and said, "Where was this shyness when you were sending me letters in Gurukul?".  He pulled up her chin with his fingers and kissed her forehead. "Now I'm your husband, so I can kiss you", Abhimanyu said about their first kiss that happened now.  Ahilya smiled and suddenly kissed his cheek which was reachable for her due to their height difference and said, "Even I'm your wife, so I can also kiss you". He laughed loudly and once again kissed her forehead. Then he left her room. Ahilya sat on her bed and remembered the latest happenings in her life. She had written him many letters but didn't get a reply from him. Even then she consoled herself saying that there are many restrictions for students in Gurukul for sending letters, so that's why he didn't write back. He had never expressed his feeligns for her till now. But when he did, it is the extreme. He totally owned her. As Ahilya was thinking about these, she heard someone clearing their throat. She looked towards the door to see Pratiksha standing there. Ahilya invited her in and both of them sat on the couch present there.  "Did anything happen, Bhabhisa (Sister-in-law)?", Pratiksha asked Ahilya. To say Ahilya was dumbfounded would be an understatement. She just opened and closed her mouth a few times. Pratiksha chuckled and said, "My little Bhabhisa. Don't forget that he is my twin brother and we are partners in crime. He had always mentioned about you in his letters for me. And he also told me what he is going to do today". Saying so she pointed towards Ahilya's ring.  Ahilya smiled at her words and was happy to hear that he wrote about her in his letters. Then she told Pratiksha, "Didisa(Sister), you don't need to call me, Bhabhisa. I'm still younger than you". Pratiksha laughed and said, "We are friends for years but you never stopped calling me as Didisa. Did you? Ok, Let's leave that for the future".  After that, both of them talked, laughed and teased about their future husbands.