Chapter 12

Darshana

Maatunada Bambarakatta mandaiya. Happy Payback, Hridhay.

Hridhay wakes up with a jerk and his breathing heaves with anger. He never likes being woken up when he is in deep sleep but what a friend I will be if I don't wake him up in unique ways. He says something but I don't hear it in the blazing sound of the television.

He stands up and tries to get the remote from my hand but I take it out of his reach. When he tries again, I turn around to run but I'm stuck at the same spot. I look down to find his right hand wrapped around my waist and holding me in place.

He pulls me towards him and the moment from the Friday night in the hotel, hits the back of my mind. He easily takes the remote from my hand before releasing me. He reduces the volume and turns the television off.

"Dei thambi, kozhanthaila intha horlicks uh complan ellaam kudikalaiya?" He teases me and places the remote on the coffee table. (Didn't you drink Nutrition drinks when you were a child?)

"Thambi ah? Unna kolla pooren, Hridhay. How dare you touch me? " I take my hands towards his neck but he takes a step back. (I'm gonna kill you, Hridhay.)

"Unnakku ettutha? Ettathu nu nenachen." He takes another step back. "Seri enna dinner eduthutu vanthu iruka?" He turns around and walks towards the kitchen. (Woah, you are able to reach my neck? I thought your height won't be enough. Well, what have you brought for dinner?)

I take a decorative pillow and try to throw it at him but stop seeing the bandage on his neck. "Chapati and aloo masala." I place the pillow back on the couch.

"Enna panra?" He returns from the kitchen with plates and walks towards the dinning. (What are you doing?)

"Kalanju irunthatha arrange pannen." I pretend to dust off the pillow and smile at him. "Okay. Nee sapudu naan kelamburen. Good Night." (Was arranging the couch. Okay. You have your dinner, I'll take my leave.)

"Happy dinner, Tom -Jerry" He laughs. "Inga va. Yaaru, naan Tom nee Jerry ah?" He looks at me and chuckles more. (Come here. Am I Tom and you are Jerry?)

"Aama. Ippo thongitu iruntha unna eppadi ezhupunen!" I proudly cross my arms and look at him challengingly. (Yes. Did you forget how I woke you up, so soon?)

"Nee office join pannathula irunthu unna yaaru neriya irritate panrathu?" He keeps the note aside and takes out the hot case from the bag. (Who has been irritating you ever since you joined the office?)

"Neethaan." I drop my arms and roll my eyes thinking of all the times he has got a reaction from me. (You.)

"Appo yaaru jerry?" He opens the case and takes the carrier out. (Then who is the jerry among us?)

"Huh.. Athu ellam mudiyathu. Nee evlo perusa iruka. Jerry kutty ah irukum." I go near him and he looks down at me, only to chuckle sarcastically. (No... I can't agree. You are so big. Jerry will be little.)

I fume at him and he laughs more, holding his stomach, pointing at me. "Nee enna kadupu ethi enkita irunthu oru reaction vangi kaatu appo unna jerry nu naan othukuren." He sits on the chair and serves himself the chapati and aloo masala using a spoon that he brought along with the plates from the kitchen. "Ukanthu company kodu." He pulls the chair next to him. (When you succeed in irritating me and getting a reaction, I will agree that you are Jerry. Now give me company for dinner.)

"Apo nee jerry na naan yaaru?" I sat on the chair that he pulled. (If you are Jerry, then who am I?)

"Nee eppovum ennoda sweetheart." I scowl at him and he laughs victoriously before tearing a piece of chapati and taking some aloo with it. (You are always my Sweetheart.)