IV

"I heard that you and Namjoon fought," Hoseok says, watching the black-haired man go and sit in front of him. He was leaning his ass against the armchair, feet astride. He observed the man; his eyes following his moves. The miserable look on Seokjin's face speaks enough of what happened.

His lost glaze avoided the contact and reveal the tiredness and distress in his empty colorless orbs. The said male did not reply. He grabbed the can of beer sitting wantonly on his desk. He couldn't bear the thirst from its seductive smirk. Seokjin forgot the hatred he once had for alcohol, as all he could feel was the tempting feeling of having the sweet taste of the cold beer touch his lips.

Hoseok raised his eyebrows at him. "I thought you said you don't like beer," he commented.

Seokjin furrowed his brows. "Who said that?" He asks, his face contorted in disgust as the burning sensation of the chemical liquid funneling down his throat. The look of regret gathered up and his nerves tightened by the gross smell of it.

"You, you said it."

Seokjin chuckled, shaking his head whilst he snickered to himself. "It wasn't me. It was Patricia."

Hoseok giggled. "You're crazy..." Seokjin responded with a smile, raising his can as though making a toss. "Thanks."

"By the way, what's your and Namjoon's fight about?" Hoseok asked suddenly.

"Just a small misunderstanding." Seokjin shrugged, his expression punctured thinking about it. That was the first fight he had with his best friend in ten years of their friendship, and he couldn't help the remorse from piling up his throat. He hopes Namjoon will forgive him.

"Just a small misunderstanding, huh? The nurse said you even punched him."

"Who? Taehyung?"

"Is that his name?" Seokjin hummed.

He sighed inwardly. "Namjoon wants to kill the kid," Seokjin finally admitted. A wide-eyed look washed over Hoseok's face. "He... What?!"

"Yeah, that's why I got angry. The frustration blinded me that's why I punched him," Seokjin says.

"Did Namjoon actually say that?" Hoseok asked once again. Saying to not believe Seokjin is an understatement at all. He knows Namjoon for a long time. He's intelligent, kind, and the most caring person you can meet out there. But he knows Seokjin too, he doesn't lie.

"I know it's unbelievable, even I too couldn't believe it."

"I'm sure he doesn't mean to say it." A puff of steam passes by his lips. "I hope so too-but the way Namjoon said those words, and how he looks at me with hard darkened eyes is like... he really meant it. He's serious about it, Hoseok. Namjoon is my best friend. I'll know it if he's joking or pointing a gun in our head," Seokjin says.

His nerves twisted with shudders as he remembers Namjoon's words, like shredded pieces of glass littered his feet. He was anxious, he was scared. A crow's nail of uneasiness pricking his flesh by cognition.

"But don't you think Namjoon is right?" Seokjin turned his head to him immediately. "What do you mean he is right? Killing someone alone is wrong already!" He countered, glaring at the brown-haired man.

"No, I don't agree with Namjoon killing the boy. I mean, he's right about him being dangerous. He's harmful to us, Seokjin, we don't know what else he can do."

"Does facing lunatics every day isn't dangerous enough-"

"Yoongi is different from the rest of them," Hoseok interjected, "we can't handle him."

"So what do you want me to do? We can't just abandon him, Hoseok! My conscience can't take that. I can't imagine him wandering in the village like a lost pathetic abandoned doll."

"Will your conscience save you from the danger lingering in that boy?" Hoseok asked. Seokjin was quietened for a second as he thinks of it. "No, but I'd rather die trying."

"I won't give up on him, Hoseok. And I know Park too."

____

Kim Seokjin felt the thirst like salty water evaporating in his throat. The beer wasn't much of a help, the repellent taste stained his tongue and he thought of scratching it until it bleeds and he can no longer feel its distasteful flavor. He puts the coin into the machine and waits for the water to fill his tumbler. Absorbed in his thoughts, Seokjin didn't notice another person standing next to him before his thick lips spoke and broke through the name.

"Did u drink beer?" He looks at him and his expression drops within a blow of the waft.

"So?"

"It's just unusual for me to smell you like alcohol-perhaps I got used to that disinfectant smell you always wear," Dr. Kim replied and smiled showing those gorgeous dimples that always have Seokjin staring in awe.

Seokjin turned his body to him, facing him entirely. He frowned, finding the words offensive, in a joking way. "I don't know if that's an insult or a compliment-"

Dr. Kim immediately looked up at him and shook his head, stammering, "no, no, no, no, no. That perfume you use smells really good - you smell good - no, the perfume is good - you- you-" He stopped by the loud laugh coming from the older. His forehead knitted; the amusement on Seokjin's face quite disconcerted him.

"I'm just kidding, you should have seen your face HAHAHAHAHA!" Dr. Kim laughed as well.

He cleared his throat and looked at Seokjin with serious eyes, and asked; "are you still mad at me?" Oh boy, he wished he never asked him that question as he saw the way his visage dried up cold.

"Of course, who wouldn't?" He answered, looking at anything else but the wall. "It seems like the Namjoon I knew was gone-the intelligent and kind Namjoon I met before. When you say those words, it seems like it's never you... Like... Someone took your identity and pretended to be you." He glanced at him.

"I know Kim Namjoon will never say those words because he's smart, he has a golden heart that never meant to hurt anyone. That's why he's called genius Namjoon. He thinks before saying something and he's not reckless to hurt anyone with his words." Seokjin sniggered bitterly. "But I don't know what happened to that Namjoon."

"I'm sorry...."

Seokjin nodded his head. "Why are you doing this?" He scrutinized his face keenly, revealing the remorse on his repentance mien.

Dr. Kim sighs a heavy breath. "To protect you," he replied shortly at once. Seokjin isn't satisfied with it, he's not convinced at all. He's sure Dr. Kim has a bigger reason. Something he'd been longing to hear.

"Why do you want to protect me?"

He stared into his eyes, searching for something he might never find if he told him the truth. The words lie beneath his tongue but they only speak within the mind, and it screams in his foolish heart.

'because I love you, Seokjin, and I'll do anything to protect you.'

...And he guises in the lies he always tells himself and everybody around him. "Because you're like a brother to me already. Family protects each other, right?"

Seokjin stared blankly at him. He doesn't know why but he felt disappointed. He's expecting something, but he doesn't know what it is-or he does but he's scared to admit it. Dr. Kim obviously doesn't have the same feelings he has for him. He must have kept his expectations way too high, and he wasn't certain if he could reach that far. It was impossible... It's way too impossible. Brother, he only sees him as a brother and nothing more.

"Is that all?"

Dr. Kim hummed and turned away, leaving him questioning himself about the things he shouldn't be thinking in some way.