Chapter 5: The Exorcist

The thick louring shadows hovered above the building. Slowly eating the light out until there is nothing to be seen but unfathomable darkness that looms at the end of their tails. He came as he promised them. Sooner than they expected. At a great moment, they saw his ominous gleam—a brooding glint of crimson blood, they knew for a fact it wasn't good. He stared right from the top, glaring down at their shameless souls. His red glittering owl eyes, on the hunt for little mice.

The time was ticking fast, so damn fast they didn't notice it burning, devouring the rope until there is nothing to hold. They should have known it initially. The lunar eclipse has begun; from the wide void, they caught a scarcely audible susurration of synchronized tongues whispering like the shrill note of bees when they pivoted around you before they launch an attack.

"What was that?" Dr. Park asked, discountenanced by the disturbing sound. He listened closely, silencing his breathing to clear out the words but they were in a different language. It's some sort of imprecation. Whatever in hell it is called, it makes him shiver and creates deep fear in his quivering soul.

Dr. Park decided it must stop. It's awfully grating like the group of rats having a small yet forever ongoing argument about who should take the last bite of cheese. Something an individual gets tired of but not the clever black-furred chittering creatures.

"I think it's coming from the woods," Taehyung replied, also baffled by foreign phrases. The men exchanged looks, communicating through their deep gazes. The noise hung in for more minutes, it was getting more disturbing the longer it clings to their ears. It sounded so close, so close like they were just whispering right in their ears and they felt the lightest brush of hot breath against their cheeks—though, no one was there, but the silhouettes of their form.

Dr. Park knew he should do something with the commotion, or nobody else will. "I'll go check it out," he said, but before he could take a step, a strong grip held him by the arm. He turned around to the person with a questioning look which hardly makes a difference from his usual inquisitive eyes.

Do-Hyun gave him a stern look. "No, you're not going in there. We have no idea what kind of beast is out there... Or a speaking devil... It'll be better if it's just a beast although it won't change the situation, you can easily escape from it. But you can never please a devil in form."

"We have to stick to each other and get this done, only then it'll stop."

"Now... Come on, let's do this."

That night, they prayed fervently holding tight to the protection Do-Hyun gave them. It is nothing close to a weapon but can surely drive evil entities away, that's what he told them and they believed him. The cold string of beads wrapped around their knuckles as their lips whisper the prayer to the metal cross.

Whilst he read the prayer aloud, there come a loud creaking and sputtering of electricity and the voices grew louder and more dominant than they first heard them. Min Yoongi's flagitious laughter echoed throughout the room and banged down the great walls. The noises were trying to ruin their focus. Do-Hyun can barely speak from all the irritating sounds rotating from wall to wall and leaping toward the hard bricks.

“Behold the Cross of the Lord, flee bands of enemies.”Do-Hyun held the cross up, wrapping his long fingers around the wood firmly. Min Yoongi growled and snarled like a savage dog, pulling on the ropes in his wrist in desperation to escape. He's drooling saliva of some kind of hungry beast.

“The Lion of the tribe of Juda, the offspring of David,
hath conquered.” Lights began flickering on and out aggressively like a dying firefly in begging to end the unbearable suffering.

"May Thy mercy, Lord, descend upon us."

"As great as our hope in Thee." There heard a loud crackled and spat out sparks.