2 | effervescent

🏁
◢◤◢◤◢◤          Circuit 02          ◢◤◢◤◢◤

The ceramic floors felt cold against my feet as I walked down the stairs, blindly making my way to the kitchen

The ceramic floors felt cold against my feet as I walked down the stairs, blindly making my way to the kitchen. A dim light shines from beneath the island counters. I have no idea what time it is, but based on the silence in the house and the fact that the sun hasn't yet risen, I can only guess it's around five a.m.

My body is programmed to wake up around that time to allow me to empty my bladder. However, my stomach has been rumbling all night, and I know it's because of the new, unfamiliar foods I ate. Grandma was eager to introduce me to dishes that only the wealthy could enjoy regularly. I wasn't complaining, though, because if I could, I'd eat well every day.

I squint my eyes away from the light and come to a halt in front of it with a triumphant grin. Yes! Let's see what they've got...

I yank it open without hesitation, and as I take in what's in front of me, a thud erupts from behind me. I immediately freeze up as the string cheese hangs from the side of my mouth.

My eyes widen, and I slowly turn toward the elderly gentleman standing at the wide glass door.

He switches the light button on the wall and faces me.

"Who are you?" Interrogated the man, his tone wary but devoid of accusation.

My hand instinctively moves up to my neck, where it brushes against the tattoo just below my ear. The white ink that has remained hidden from my mother for the past two years. And it will remain that way.

I smile, but I'm not sure whether I should be afraid or delighted. He can't be that dangerous, despite his cold opening conversation. His short stature and confident demeanor reveal that he isn't a day younger than fifty. He takes a few slowed steps toward one of the four dark-green stools on the island next to the staircase.

He throws his suit jacket on one of the chairs before looking back at me.

"Uh, hello..." I croaked, my voice dry and just disgusting overall. The short figure emerges from the shadow. He's wearing formal clothes; a maroon suit, and a brown briefcase. Those I always see on murder crime shows. This man can't be a thief, right?

"Who are you?" I asked, unable to stop myself from getting curious.

For all I know, this could be a house robbery. It would make so much more sense when I'm in a wealthy neighborhood. I'd hit up this place too. Grab the huge T.V and that gold statue right outs-

"I'm Ricardo," he finally says and my eyes widen with realization, my whole body flushed with embarrassment. "And who might you be? You seem...young-" He pauses as if he's just realized something. "Wait. Are you Glenda's granddaughter?"