29 | relish

🏁

◢◤◢◤◢◤          Circuit 29      ◢◤◢◤◢◤

"We'll have the Market Burger, please," I said, confidently placing our order at the counter

The server, a cheerful woman with two pigtails, took note of our order on a yellow-pad paper. "Two for dine-in?" she asked.

I glanced at Theo, mischief twinkling in my eyes. "Three," I said, giving him a playful nudge. He blushed slightly, clearly caught off guard, but didn't object.

The server scribbled down the additional burger and looked up at us with a smile. "Any drinks?"

"Just water," I replied, trying to suppress my growing excitement.

"Comin' right up!" the woman chirped before passing the order to the cook. "We'll be right with you."

"Great," I said, unable to contain my smile as I took our receipt. Turning to Theo, who still seemed a bit flustered, I reached out and grabbed his hand, intertwining our fingers.

Then, with a mischievous glint in my eye, I strategically placed my cheek against his bicep, as if I were a lovesick puppy. I noticed a group of teenage girls nearby staring at Theo and whispering to themselves.

A wave of satisfaction washed over me. "Too bad he's here with me," I thought, rolling my eyes dramatically and batting my eyelashes when Theo opened the door for me.

As we walked out, I exaggerated my reaction to his gesture, successfully diverting the girls' attention away from him.

"Thanks! You're such a gentleman," I sighed dreamily, gazing up at Theo, who seemed oblivious to my theatrics. He led me to a small garden area under a teal umbrella, finding us a cozy spot.

"Maybe we could have just ordered takeout?" Theo mumbled after sitting down across from me. He placed his bag behind him and stared off into the distance, not once making eye contact.

I crossed my arms over my chest, a mix of annoyance and curiosity bubbling within me.

"Am I not worth a few more minutes of your time?" I feigned disappointment, dropping my chin onto my hand and fluttering my lashes at him. Darting my gaze around the vibrant greens surrounding us. The sun was shining, but a cool breeze from the nearby trees made it bearable.

"Look at this view you'll be missing out on," I added, trying to entice him.

Theo leaned back in his seat, still uninterested. "We've got this back in Whitehaven," he responded, his voice devoid of enthusiasm.

I furrowed my brow and narrowed my eyes, directing a menacing gaze at the side of his face. Damn that side profile, always making me feel things I shouldn't be feeling.