4 | besotten

🏁
◢◤◢◤◢◤ Circuit 04 ◢◤◢◤◢◤

[ DJ ] ♪... What you say to me?
I can't hear a thing
Try to talk some sense to me,
but I won't listen
I'm what God made of me

Dead To Me by Kali Uchis plays in the background of my pink and glittered bedroom wall, which Grandma thought I would like

Dead To Me by Kali Uchis plays in the background of my pink and glittered bedroom wall, which Grandma thought I would like. It was cute if I was still in my Princess Sofia phase and wore laced-up Knee-high Converse. That was the year 2015 when Big Sean's I Don't F*ck With You song came out, and all I ever worried about was running around with kids in our little neighborhood, making 15-second videos on a platform called Musical.ly.

Now, though, is a completely different world. If my ten-year-old self could see the makeup brushes scattered all over the white vanity mirror and fairy lights surrounding it, I would laugh at myself. But this is a matter of life and death, and time does not appear to be on my side today.

It's the first day of school, for me, and well... I've been staring at myself in the mirror for two hours. I set down the makeup brush and unplug my phone from the charging station beside the bathroom door, careful not to get my uniform dirty in the process.

Woah... I look like those girls from White Chicks.

I check myself in the full-body mirror one last time, a few curses flying out of my mouth when I notice how tightly my lipids are compressed to the point where I am having a hard time breathing.

Of course, it was the wrong size.

My poorly applied 'Clean Girl' inspired makeup look, turned out better than I expected. It looked effortless on the girl I watched on YouTube, but damn was it easier said than done.

I've never been good at these things, but today I decided to go all out because first impressions are vital.

I'm definitely not dressing up in case I run into pretty boy again in the hallways while we stare into each other's eyes and-

I break out of my thoughts, stopping myself from getting too delusional. Scenarios played out better in my head than in the real world. What are the chances I have him in one of my classes? I was certain I would at least be placed in support classes due to my previous academic failures in Chicago.

I throw my hair into a messy bun and clip it back as I throw my brand new clothes on my California king-sized bed. Just as I was about to reach for my handbag and black leather jacket from the back of the wheely chair, Mom struts in unannounced.

"What is taking you so long?" She's already in her usual grumpy mood. "You're going to have to take the bus if you don't hurry up."