Day

Another long night awaited my mother and I as we ready ourselves to watch over those of innocent blood. The thought of seeing the Night Clan's fools fall beneath me for their wrongs made my blood catch fire in my veins. Mother said it should disgust me to see our past Clan members fall but how could it when they did wrong. They were the ones who wanted me dead a few short years after my own birth! Just for something my Mother had given me so I could grow up. You would have thought it would allow me a life with the humans here?

     I was sliding a stake into my hidden thigh holster when something broke downstairs. Crash! Scream! "Mother!" I dashed down the stairs, taking two at a time. What I came down to still haunts me.

     Blood covered the walls, who's blood I couldn't tell nor did I care. Someone had broken into our house and my Mother was somewhere down here. Quietly I crept around the house when a scent washed over me. Night Clan's true bred warrior... The Royals never sent out a true bred warrior unless it was completely needed. Guess we really are getting to be a real problem for those dumbass royal bloods, I thought. When I rounded the corner into the kitchen and there's where I found her... My Mother barely breathing with a stake in her heart...

     "Mother..." I whispered in disbelief. She pointed behind and that's when I felt a hand over my mouth. Not panicking I lifted up my foot and slammed home on the top of the attackers foot. As he recovered I roundhouse kicked him in the stomach. He groaned as I reach for my whip-like bracelet dripped in Holy water, no other vampire but I could hold this. And man, when it hit skin on my Night Clan member the mark would never leave them. I flicked my wrist and missed as he sped towards the window. I flick again and caught him across the chest, burning through the materials he wore right onto his flesh. Before I could attack again he was gone. Dropping my whip, I ran to my Mother's side. Tears spilling over as I held my now delicate Mother on the edge of death.

     "Mother... Mommy," something I hadn't called her in a long time. "I'm so sorry... This is my fault... All my fault..." I buried my head in her hair as her petted my hair.

     "Shhh, baby girl no it's not. I knew this day would come. If anything this is my fault not your's."

     "No! How could you say that?! If I wasn't so blood thirsty... If I wasn't different... We would be living normal lives with the Night Clan... I'm so sorry..."

     "Stop that. You are different because of me you know that. I choose to give you a life of both day and night instead of you living with the Night Clan for a reason. You are better off in both than just one. You are the protector of the humans of this world. You only kill those who feed off of unwilling victims and no one else." She was silent for a moment to the point I thought she had died right there but then she continued. "Promise me something, Alaula..."

     "Anything Mother..." I lifted my head to look her in the eyes.

     "Promise me you will continue our work after I'm gone. Promise me you will not give up on our dream." I nod rapidly.

     "I p-promise I w-won't... I love you Mom..." She smiled weakly at me as the life began to drain out of her eyes.

    "I love you too my little dawn of light..." And with that last word her body fall into ash in my hands. That night I wept more than I had ever done since Father left us. I was now not only a Daywalker, a protector of humans, a wanted on the Night Clan's list... I was all of this and I was all alone now...