3. KINKY

I searched the whole floor for any trace of Mr. Miller but all in vain. This place was like a maze. The more I walked through the hallways, the more I felt lost. The house looked big but I feel like I had underestimated its size. It was way bigger than I initially presumed.

When I couldn't find him on the whole floor, I climbed the stairs and reached the second floor. There was another hallway, a long array of rooms on both sides. I wondered why there were so many rooms in this house. Mr. Miller doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would give the rooms on rent.

The hallway led to a door that was ajar and a few voices could be heard from inside; low-pitched masculine voices. It seemed like there was some kind of a small business meeting going on in here. I wanted to avoid disturbing him but he hasn't left me much choice. And maybe, he would be a little civil in front of his partners.

With that thought in my mind, I walked over to the door and opened it. I tried to be subtle but the door opened with a loud creak and that made all five pairs of eyes turn to me. I recognized two of them; the infamous Miller brothers. The other three men exchanged glances and by the look of it, they didn't look too pleased to see me.

I can't walk away now, can I?

Be brave now, Pen.

"I need to talk to you about something." I said firmly.

"And it couldn't wait?" He sounded cold, almost icy cold.

"No." I stated.

He narrowed his eyes and excused himself from the others. I walked outside the room, followed by him as he closed the door behind him.

"Why isn't my phone working?" I asked.

"Is that the reason you barged in there without anyone's permission?" His jaw clenched.

"Yes. Keeping me here is one thing but blocking my phone and stopping me from contacting the whole outside world is intolerable. So if you don't want your business partners-" My voice was cut as I felt hands closing against my throat. My eyes bulged out of their sockets partly because of the surprise and partly because of the horror.

"If such things happen next time, you won't be leaving the room on your feet. Get it?" He whispered against my mouth.

He probably wanted me to respond but I couldn't, not when his hands were tied around my neck. Tears filled my protruding eyes and trailed down my cheeks as I struggled to find my lost voice.

"Y... yes." I managed to say.

"Good." He whispered and loosened his hold. While I regained my strength, he brushed his hands and made himself look presentable again; no hint of any remorse on his face.

°°°°°

At 7:30, I was called downstairs for dinner. What happened earlier today was still etched in my mind and I had no desire to have dinner with them but I knew if I refuse, that son of a bitch will come to fetch me himself. I had cried a lot today so I applied some concealer under my eyes. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me like this.

Unwillingly, I sucked a sharp breath and made my way downstairs. On the dining table, jerk # 1 was sitting on the head chair and jerk # 2 was sitting on his left. I took a seat beside jerk # 2 as I didn't want to sit next to Jerk # 1.

An uncomfortable silence was sprawled on the table. I poured some roast and gravy on my plate and then began chomping. The food tasted good but our earlier interaction had killed my appetite so I was just forcing food down my throat now against my will.

"It's awfully quiet in here." Lucas said and eyed me from his peripheral vision. "Cat got your tongue?"

"I am sorry I don't feel like having small talk after being a victim of a strangulation attempt." I said bitterly.