22. A NIGHT AWAY

SEAN

The next day, Thomas and I spent the whole afternoon scanning through the footage of the security camera of Elijah’s building. Someone stole Elijah’s laptop after Penelope came to see me in Chicago and we needed to find out who and why. After two shifts of coffee and a week’s worth of footage, we finally found the intruder. 

A man dressed in a dark jacket and black sunglasses broke into the apartment at midnight and spent two hours inside. And when we walked out, he had something in his hand, something wide and shaped like a laptop. 

“Wait.” I stopped at a certain frame where the neck of that man was visible. “See that.” I pointed at the tattoo near his collarbone. It was a bleeding rose and I have seen this same tattoo on the man who was following us back home, the one Penelope watched me kill. “It must have been some signature logo of their mafia.”

“Why a tattoo?” I heard Penelope’s voice from behind. She had went to her room to take a right after breakfast.

“It’s probably like branding. Some high end gangs do that so the police know these men are not to be touched.” I replied.

“Oh.” She whispered. 

I angled my neck to look at her and found her hair wrapped around those big rollers that are used to curl hair. She was wearing a bathrobe and had a green clay mask on her face. “What is all this for?” I enquired.

“Uhhh actually… I am going out… with Mary. Before we get pulled into this mess again, I want one night of freedom.” She said and a frown appeared on my forehead. “Before you say anything, We’ll take Thomas with us. He will protect us.”

“No.” I said.

“Seaaaaaaaaaaan!!!” She whined. “Please don’t ruin this. I’ll be a good girl, I promise. I’ll listen to Thomas and you can track my location the whole time.” 

I didn’t want her to go alone but she had answers to all my objections. Besides, the way she batted her eyelashes at me, I had no other way than giving in. “Fine. You’ll take Thomas with you. Be home before 10.” I instructed.

“11.” She argued.

“10.” I glared at her. “Take it or leave.”

“Ugh, fine.” She frowned and then walked back into her room.

Rolling my eyes at her, I turned my attention to the laptop screen that was frozen on the intruder's face. "Take out a print of it." I said to Thomas.

•°•°•

I went outside to buy some groceries and when I returned, I found Penelope's best friend Mary sitting on the couch with Thomas. She was trying to have small talk with him while he was passing her hard glares. The girl was dumb as a button but she was harmless so I didn't mind her much.

"Where is Penelope?" I asked.

"She is in the bedroom." Mary replied.

While she annoyed Thomas with her nonsense, I walked into the bedroom to have a talk with Penelope. I needed to give her instructions on how to keep herself safe in such circumstances as I cannot be with her all the time.

"Hey, haven't you heard of knocking?" Penelope growled.

I would have replied if I wasn't too busy ogling at her. She looked like a different person altogether. Instead of her usual hobo look, she was wearing a fitted maroon strapless dress. Her hair was curled nicely and light makeup was dusted over her face, accentuating her already stunning features. The maroon complimented her hair perfectly and then there were her legs. I've seen her legs before but the heels made them appear longer and more toned.