11. SPITFIRE IN MY HOUSE

It was Sunday today, not that it was any different than my usual days. I had woken up at 7 and breakfast time was usually 11, which meant I was too early. I started my day by doing some yoga and then went into the bathroom to take a long, hot shower.

I scrubbed myself thoroughly and then wrapped a towel around myself. Minding my business, I went back into the room, not realising the presence of anybody else. I reached the dressing table and began applying moisturizer on my arms and that's when I saw the intruder's face in the mirror.

I shrieked loudly and jumped in my spot to turn around. There he was, Mr. Sean Miller, leaning carelessly against the door, his hands in his pockets.

"What are you doing here, you creep?" I asked, trying to find something to cover myself. The towel barely covered anything, leaving my legs at display.

"Don't sweat. I just need to ask something and then I'll be on my way." He said, walking towards me casually, as if I wasn't half naked in front of him.

My cheeks flushed in embarrassment and I tried to pull the towel down to cover some more of my legs. He was in his tracksuit, probably back from his morning run. His beard was unkept, in need of a shave, but somehow it suited him better.

"And it couldn't wait till laters?" I asked in an annoyed voice.

"Patience isn't my strongest suit, Miss. Woods." He stopped just a few inches away from me and then observed my face. "Tell me, how was your relationship with Elijah?"

"What do you mean by that? He was my father. We had a normal relationship like other father-daughger" I replied.

"And how often did you visit him?" He asked.

"Once, twice per week." I replied, trying to make sense of his questions.

"Did you notice anything suspicious around his death?" He asked.

"Define suspicious." I asked

"Anything that is out of character for a highschool teacher." He explained.

I tried to think of an answer but I couldn't be sure. Everything always seemed normal, a little too normal, which explained the shock I got on his death.

"I don't know." I replied.

"Try to remember. Anything out of ordinary." He asked.

"I don't know. Seriously." I replied. "Look Sean, I don't know about my Dad's past but the person who brought me up, he was a simple man." I didn't even realize I had called him by his first name.

"Okay." He said, although he didn't look satisfied. "See you at the breakfast then."

"Sure." I said.

"And I don't mind the view but you should really hold your towel." He said, the corner of his mouth lifting into a smirk. I followed his gaze and found my towel hanging low at the chest, giving him a clear view of my cleavage. My cheeks started to burn and I turned around to hide myself.

"Jerk."

Once he walked out of the door, I changed into a pair of jeans and top and then slumped on a couch. His question took me back to the memories of my father. My Dad was fit for his age and had kind eyes and a warm smile. He used to be the favourite of his students. He had not many friends but he was respected well among his peers and neighbours.

He was my only family and his death has left me alone in the world. I never knew my mother because I was hardly four when she died. He was everything I had and now he was gone and I was stuck here with strangers.

•••••

Sean

"You are extra hard on yourself today." Lucas said as he watched me do bicep curls with a much heavier weight than usual. I shrugged and moved to the treadmill.