38. FINDING HER

SEAN

"What do we do with him?" Thomas asked all of sudden, breaking my chain of thoughts. I was sitting on the sofa in the lounge, tapping my feet on the cold floor inpatient, waiting for my men to trace Penny's location. It has been hours but we had no luck finding anything. It wasn't a surprise, I already had a hunch that they weren't going to repeat the mistake of letting anyone trace them.

"Boss?" Thomas repeated.

I looked towards the two men bowed on their knees, looking towards me with pleading eyes. These were the father and son duo who betrayed me by sending that Marco Machiavelli to my house instead.

"I swear they forced us to lie to you." The older man said.

"Forced? Is that what we call bribing these days?" I asked in a furious voice.

"We... We didn't know..." The real Jason spoke this time and my head whipped to his sullen face. "Forgive us. It was a stupid mistake."

His words forced me to leave the sofa and walk closer to him. Once I reached near the wall, I leaned down and gripped him by his hair. "Your mistake has endangered someone's life, someone who is very dear to me. Tell me, how can I forgive you?"

My nostrils flared as I looked deep into his light eyes filled with terror. It has been months since I did something terribly evil but right now, I wanted nothing more than hang both of these upside down in the middle of the city so nobody would dare disobey me from now onwards.

"Sean!" Lucas called my name and I loosened my hold on Jason. "There's a call on the landline."

"Lock them in the basement." I said before walking to my study room where the landline was being kept. Lucas has put it on speaker and I could hear whispers from the other side.

"It's me. Paolo." The person on the other end finally said.

"Paolo, let her go. You don't want to be my enemy right now." I said, gritting my teeth.

"I think we became enemies the minute you let her in your house." He replied in a cold tone. "But doesn't mean we can't have a truce. I know you have the proofs of some of our wrongdoings. Give them back and take her."

"I'm going to take her back, with or without truce." I said threateningly.

"Speaking of her...." It was Enzo this time who probably had an evil grin on his face right now. "Wanna hear her voice?"

There was some shifting on the other side after which Penny spoke, "Sean, don't listen to them. I'm fine. I'm... Ah..." She yelped loudly and I gripped the table in frustration.

"Leave her asshole. I swear I'm going to kill you when I see you." I growled loudly.

"Sean..." Penny cried as I heard a slap. I gripped my hands into a tight fist. I felt helpless for not being able to do anything and it was the worst feeling ever.

"Penny, I'll save you. Trust me." I said in a helpless voice.

"Enough lovebirds. Sean, you have one day. I know you won't risk going to FBI given your own crimes so you have no other option. Give all the proofs to us and we'll never disturb you both again." Paolo said.

"Sean... Don't listen to them. Remember, God will help us in this darkness." Penny said from behind but she was interrupted.

"One day, Miller. You better move or you'll receive her deadbody." Enzo said and cut the call.

A deep, throaty growl left my mouth and I punched the wall. Pain shot through my skin but it couldn't be compared to the pain of losing Penny, even in my imagination.