6. OLD TRUTHS

I stayed on the bench, trembling, watching the ambulance pass by us with the dead body of the florist. The sight made bile rose to my throat. The poor woman's body drowned in blood was etched in my memory and the image had shaken me to my core.

Dead.

"What happened?" I heard Sean Miller's voice and that forced me to raise my head. He asked the person who had saved me from the bullet by pushing me to the ground. The tall, dark, blue eyed man had come out of nowhere and saved my life.

"We tried to catch the shooter but he vanished into thin air. He must have been a professional hired by someone." The guy briefed him.

"Are you hurt?" He asked me but I seemed to have lost my words.

"No." I managed to say. Not physically.

"Do you still want to go back to Florida and risk more lives?" He said, no empathy in his words but no anger either.

I shook my head in no as I stared at the splotches of blood on the road.

"Get in the car." He said and I did ask he asked.

He motioned the driver to start the car as he shifted into the car beside me. He might have expected me to resist but honestly, I was still traumatized by the sight I had seen earlier that I didn't care. That woman might have a family, or children that were expecting her to return home. And now she was dead, just like that. And knowing that I might be the reason behind her death was haunting me. It was all my fault.

I could feel Sean's eyes on me, observing my pale face quietly. Thank God, he decided not to mock me or say "I told you so" because that would have been the last straw before I break down in front of him.

The car finally came to a halt inside the mansion and I followed him quietly. Once inside the lounge, he called Jenny who rushed to us in no time.

"Take Miss. Woods to her room. And give her warm milk. She is a little shaken." He said and there was some slight warmth in his voice if I am not mistaken or deluded.

Jenny did as she was instructed. She took me to my room, helped me change clothes, cozied me under the blanket and then after few moments, came back with some warm milk.

"Are you alright?" She asked when she noticed my trembling hands, while blinking her round eyed at me.

"I don't know Jenny. I just watched a woman die. One minute, she was alive and the next minute, she was lying in front of me lifeless." I said as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"You'll get over it." She said, patting my arm.

"I don't think I will." I said, horrified.

"You will, trust me." She said and helped me gulp down the milk. Afterwards, she laid me down and covered me with the blanket. There was something in the milk that made me feel sleepy all of sudden. Or maybe I was just too mentally and physically exhausted. The last thing I remember was Jenny turning the lights off before I succumbed to sleep.

•••••

During the breakfast, there was deafening silence sprawled accross the dining table. Sean and Lucas were sitting opposite to me and they were silently chomping on the food in their plates. I on the other hand, was still stuck on what happened last night. I haven't even contacted Mary and told her that the plan had changed. I was in no mood to talk to anyone or explain anything.

After the breakfast, Lucas left the table first, leaving me along with the older Miller brother. I knew he was going to say something. I just wished it wasn't a reference to the aftermath of my stubbornness.