20. SECURE

PENELOPE

I never thought that a day will come when I feel safe and protected in Sean Miller's arms. Yet, I was holding on to him for my dear life. I wasn't hurt except a few scratches yet the kidnappers made sure to let me know what they were planning to do to me.

I shuddered at Sean's anger although it wasn't directed at me. It was pretty evident that he wasn't going to go easy on those two men. Once I had calmed down, he gently pulled away from me although I was hesitating to do so.

"Come on." He helped me stand up while still keeping me glued to his side.

As we walked out of the room, I saw Thomas singlehandedly controlling both of my kidnappers. Sean made me stand against the wall while he went forwards and gripped the Asian guy from his neck.

"Why did you kidnap her?" Sean asked, tugging on his hair so hard that his eyes popped out of his orbits.

"We... We were paid." The guy responded.

"By whom?" Sean growled.

"I don't know. We only talked to her on phone." He answered.

"Her?" Sean asked.

"Yes. It was a girl." The Asian guy responded.

"What did she instructed you to do?" Sean's hands tightened around his neck. This time, I didn't felt any mercy unlike the last time I watched him do such act. These people deserved to be treated like this the way they threatened to rape me. Who knew how many times they had succeeded to carry out such threats to women? Even the thought made me shudder.

"She asked us to keep her alive until further instructions." He replied and a vein in Sean's forehead popped.

"Is that all?" Sean asked.

"Yes. Can we go now?" The guy begged.

"Go? You think I am going to let you go?" His lips curled up in a smile and he threw the guy towards Thomas. "Tie them in the basement and let them starve to death."

"Please, let us go." Both men started to cry like little kids and it was weirdly satisfying. Maybe living with the Millers had turned me into an evil monster, God forbid. Or maybe they were the evil monsters and didn't deserve my pity.

Thomas did as he was commanded and dragged both men to the basement along with the same rope they used to tie me with.

"Let's go." Sean extended his hand out for me. I was somewhat better now and didn't need him to support me yet I took his hand. The terror had left my extremities cold and his hand was the only thing that could provide me some warmth right now.

•°•°•°•

We had finally reached Florida and the plan was to spend the night at my apartment and start our search from tomorrow. Entering into my hometown made me really nostalgic. The last time I was here, I was still mourning the death of my father and wanted to find his killers. And my life had took a strange turn since then.

I lived in an apartment that Dad bought for me when I moved out of his house once I turned 18. I guess that should have been an indication that my Dad wasn't just a high school teacher or how else would he afford to buy me an apartment on his salary.

I gave Thomas directions to my apartment and once we finally reached the building, I heaved a deep sigh of relief at the sweet sense of familiarity.

Sean had argued that living in my apartment would be dangerous but from my point of view, I think it was better to hide in the plain sight. Besides, we had already taken a long trip just so we could be subtle but it wasn't really helpful, was it?