8. THE SOFT CORNER

"Didn't Lucas tell you to stay in your room?" He asked, his fingers digging through my skin.

"Um...." I looked around to avoid staring into the deep pair of burning eyes.

"You think this small mask can hide you from me?" He said.

"I thought... Ummm...."

"You thought nothing, like every other time." He said under his breath as he swayed me along the music. For two people who don't like each other, we were in a really cozy position.

"Is it a crime to want to socialize?" I asked.

"Oh so that's what you were doing with that guy? Socializing?" He gritted.

"Yes." I said as he twirled me so my back was towards him and then pulled me back into himself. Damn. I may be a feminist but when a handsome guy twirls you around like a sack of potato, it feels weirdly good.

"That guy killed his wife and two children." He whispered in my ears and my eyes widened, bile rising to my throat.

"You are lying." I said. Sean Miller seemed like the kind of guy who would enjoy such jokes.

"Oh but I am not." He said.

"Why have you invited him to your party then?" I asked, turning around to face him but ended up standing a little too close to him. His face was few inches away from me and his warm breath was tickling my forehead.

"He is rich and powerful. I could need him one day." He said with a straight face.

"You're sick." I chewed my words.

"I was not the one dancing with him." He shrugged.

I was about to walk off when he wrapped his arm around my waist and twirled me around again. This time, I was too angry to feel good about it.

"Be subtle. Don't create any drama." He whispered in my earlobe and a shiver ran down my spine.

We were frozen in the same position, with my back digging into his front when a voice interrupted. "Babe, won't you dance with me tonight?" I didn't need to think much to recognise the person behind the mask. The dusky skin and bitchy demeanor was enough of a tell.

"Time to dance with your girlfriend, Mr. Miller." I said and slapped his hand away from my waist. He narrowed his eyes at me but didn't say anything and turned to Hailey.

I walked off to the food corner and picked up some starters along with a glass of champagne. As I sipped the burning liquid, my eyes inadvertently fell to the couple that was the centre of attraction Both of them were tall and fit, like those sexy couples you see on the front page of magazines. It made so much sense that they were together then why did I feel this uneasiness on seeing them? Maybe because they were both such assholes that it was hard to digest their sight.

"Penelope, is that you?" Jason called me, pulling me out of trance. He was in a three piece suit today, looking like a meal himself.

"Am I that easy to guess?" I groaned.

"Kinda. I mean, you have very distinct hair." He said, pointing at my Auburn locks.

"Uh. That's how." I sighed at the realization. Next time, I would have to wear a wig.

"You look good." He said, eyeing me up and down.

"How good, on a scale from 0 to 10, 10 being smoking hot?" I said jokingly.

"Uh...." He trailed off, warmth appearing on his cheeks.

"I'm kidding." I said.

"Oh." He grinned. "By the way, you are an easy 10."