5. BRIEF FREEDOM

It was day 5 here and my frustration was getting out of hand. I was an independent working woman with a life of my own and here I was, stuck in a mansion in the middle of nowhere. My inner instinct to just run out of here led me to the huge lawn outside. But the guards spaced out at every corner made me realize that running was out of question. So I ditched the plan and decided to take a walk instead.

As I walked, I could feel eyes on me, following my every move so I kept my gait as subtle as I can. I took a 360-degree tour around the mansion, trying to find an escape that isn’t guarded by giants wearing sunglasses but couldn’t. At last, I gave up and walked inside.

“What happened? You didn’t run.” I heard a voice as soon as I stepped inside. Sean Miller was standing near the doorframe, his hands buried inside the pockets.

“Of course you were watching me. Tell me, Mr. Miller, why are you so obsessed with me?” I said sarcastically as I walked in. As I walked by his side, I realized how tall he really was. Tall and broad.

“I am not the one obsessed with you but someone out there is. And unless I dispose of that person, you are stuck here.” He said.

“I don’t believe your words. Nobody is obsessed with me or my Dad. He was killed by thieves. It isn’t a crime show.” I said, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

“Oh but it is, princess.” He walked ahead towards the stairs.

:”Don’t… call… me… princess.” I chewed each word in anger. “And let me get the hell out of here. I have a job. I have a life. Friends.”

“From what I know, your job sucks. You just had one friend and you recently got dumped so your life back there wasn’t that good.” He said, turning around on the stairs to face me.

“Pathetic or not, that was my life. You have no right to steal it from me.” I shouted, getting more frustrated each second.

“You are our guest, Miss. Woods.” He said.

“I am your prisoner.”

“You are being provided everything. What more do you want?” He asked, getting annoyed now.

“My freedom, you fucking piece of shit.” I spat.

This time, his expressions couldn’t hide his anger. He slowly climbed down the stairs and walked towards me. I took a step back as he reached me, his dark eyes staring deep into mine, turning me to a nervous mess. His eyes were like small whirlpools of mystery and looking straight into them wasn’t an easy task.

“Freedom? You want freedom?” He asked.

“Y… Yes.” I stuttered. Damn, why did I stutter.

“Sure.” He said and gripped my arm. Tugging me along, he almost dragged me outside to the car and then opening the back door, pushed me inside harshly. He then sat down on the driving seat and revved the engine.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked nervously.

“To your freedom.” He said. “Speak one more word and you won’t be leaving this car alive.”

He looked really threatening at that moment so I didn’t dare to speak any word. I was both alarmed and confused at his actions because for all I know, he was taking me somehwere to kill me and then bury me alive.

The car suddenly stopped on a crowded road in a rushy area of the city. He then took out some cash from his pocket and handed it out for me. ”Here, take back your freedom. Do whatever you want to do. You have escaped the prison, Miss. Woods.” He said.

My eyes switched from his face to the cash. Not knowing what to do, I kept staring at him blankly.

“Leave.” He said, putting his hand on the steering wheel.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Yes. This money is enough to book a flight back to Florida. You are free now. Go do whatever you want.” He said.

Once I realized he was serious, a wave of happiness whirled through me and I stepped out of the car. “I can buy a ticket for myself. You don’t need to do any more favors to me, Mr. Miller. And thanks for your hospitality. No hard feelings, none whatsoever.” I said in a thrilled voice.

He didn’t acknowledge what might be my last words to him and drove the car away at full speed, leaving me standing there alone. Not alone…. Free.

I was finally free from that hellhole. I couldn’t believe it at first and it took me a few minutes to get used to this. The first thing I did was to go into the cafe to my left to catch my breath.

Now I could go back to my old life. “Without ever knowing if what happened to Dad was planned or not.” A voice in my head said but I silenced it.

Once inside the cafe, I ordered a cappuccino and looked for flights online. Thankfully, my old phone had started working now that I was out of the mansion. The nearest flight available to Florida was tomorrow morning. I stayed there for some time, enjoying the freedom and then took an Uber to the air BnB where I was staying before I was taken to the mansion.

Life had taken a strange turn this year. First, I was dumped by my long term boyfriend Darren after he reconciled with his ex. Next, after months of unemployment, I got a job where I had a shitty boss and toxic colleagues. Then, my friend Mary got married to the love of her life, making me feel lonelier and shittier. And then came the horrible day when I lost the only family I had left, my father.

My father was the sweetest man you could ever meet. He was a perfect family man and ever since my mother died, he had been my mother and my father both. I was hardly 4 or 5 when my mother died. He devoted his entire life towards my upbringing, not bothering to remarry although he had enough good looks to get any girl.

I didn’t realize when but tears had started to stream down my cheeks at the vague memories. Last few days have been strange. I didn’t even comprehend what had happened to me. Sean Miller was a mystery that I would rather not unravel. He was dangerous in ways I might not ever realize. I was relieved that I would never have to cross paths with him again, hopefully.

When the emotional turmoil ended, I lay down on the bed and closed my eyes. I had thought I would have to stay there for an indefinite period of time but thankfully, it was just a brief mishap. Now, life would go back to track. With those thoughts in mind, I succumbed to sleep.

*****

At night, I left my hotel to take a good look at the city of Chicago before leaving. There was a commercial area right outside the hotel, with restaurants, street food, shops and cafe. It was a cold day so I had worn two layers of bottoms, thick boots and a coat over my sweater. As I walked further, I found a hot chocolate stall. The piping hot drink was enough to warm my insides and make me feel fluffy.

Once the cup was finished, I ordered tacos from a small shop and sat down on a bench. This little meal was worth more than the luxurious food at the Millers. At least, I had the luxury to choose. I sat there and enjoyed the tacos, all the while watching different people walk by me.

The weather today was very romantic. It was the kind of cold that required one to hold someone else's hands to feel cozy. The kind of cold that could only be killed by the wamrth of the person you love. I wish I was not sitting there alone but instead with the love of my life, while both of us enjoyed the warm food and whispered sweet nothings in each other’s ears. Arghhh, singleness hits you hard sometimes.

Once I was full, I walked over to a flower shop nearby to buy something for the owner of the Air BnB who has been very kind to me during my stay here. “Looking for a gift for your significant other?” The saleswoman asked me.

“No. An acquaintance.” I said. “Do you have orchids?”

“Yes, I have this lovely bouquet.” She said as she handed the bouquet over to me. It was a pretty bunch of white and purple flowers but there was something red on it that was blinding me.

Both the woman and me stared at the red circle moving haphazardly, between the flowers and me.

Before I could understand what was happening, there was a loud sound of gunshot.

*********