36. CRIMES AND TERRORS

SEAN

I was sitting on the dining table, reading the newspaper while sipping on my coffee. Lucas had left earlier to be at office today while I would join him later on.

For the noble world, the Millers were the frontrunner in the gold industry. We had used this cover for decades behind which, we operated the biggest drug mafia in Chicago. Well, to be honest, I think most people knew my reality but chose not to indulge in it and be my adversary.

I had been handling these affairs for almost a decade now. Sean Miller, the business magnate and Sean Miller, the gangster, they were two different people. It wasn't what I wanted from my life always. Back when I was a kid, I wanted to pursue a higher degree but Dad made me drop out beforehand.

I had been in jail twice; once for six months and once for a whole year. It was over six years ago. But other than that and the dozens of bullet scars on my body, I had managed to lead a repercussion-free life. The police was dealt with accordingly and it didn't go on the permanent record of FBI. Yes, there was a small part of me that wanted a normal life; a wife, kids, a normal job but I would rather bury that part deep down inside me. Normalcy is not for everyone.

Lucas, unlike me, wasn't interested in conventional life. He loved the life of terror and crimes. He had shared most of my responsibilities but I made sure his name never came in front. As his elder brother, it was my job to protect him despite his self-destructive tendencies.

Everything was going on smoothly until that girl came in my life. Penelope Woods. I knew the moment I saw her screaming in the hallway of my office, this girl meant trouble. She had slowly crawled her way into my mind until I was left with my last few shreds of sanity. So much so that I was on my third cup of coffee, hoping she would be here for breakfast any minute now and I didn't want to miss that.

At last, I finally asked Jennie, "Why is Penelope not downstairs for breakfast yet?"

"She had her breakfast early morning in her room." She replied and my eyebrows furrowed.

Putting the coffee cup down, I stood up to check on her. As I reached her room, I slid open the door and looked at her lying figure. She was covered with the blanket but I had a feeling she was pretending to be asleep. What was she up to this time?

"Penelope." I called her name but no response. "I know you're up."

"I am sleepy." She said in a low voice.

"Why are you avoiding me? What did I do this time?" I said as I walked inside and then felt pathetic at my wording. Why did I sound so desperate?

"The world doesn't revolve around you." She said but her voice sounded weak.

"Are you sick?" I walked over to her bed and lifted the blanket from her face. Her eyes looked swollen but other than that, she didn't appear sick. "What happened?" I asked, failing to hide the worry in my voice.

"Just leave me alone, Sean. Don't bother about me." She said, turning around to face the other side.

"Are you missing your home?" I asked.

"No." She replied.

"Then?" I asked again.

"Leave me alone Sean. Please. It's a request. Don't make me talk to you." She said and that's when I realized she really didn't want to talk to me. But I didn't remember doing anything to her. Last time we met, we sat in the lawn and talked about our past. I felt like we really bonded and it felt heartwarming. And now, she didn't want to see my face. What was wrong with her?

"I'm leaving. Don't expect me to come again and beg you to tell me what's wrong." I said.

"Great." She muttered and I sighed. God, she was stubborn.