The One Downside

"Do you want to hold hands?"

"Huh?"

Anxiety crept through Shouto as he stared at his girlfriend. Momo looked angelic as always, her tender hearted nature reflecting in her gaze as she smiled at him. Unlike Shouto, she hadn't a trace of nervousness. Shouto wished she'd at least pretend that asking to hold hands wasn't the most casual thing in the world, that way they'd be on an equal playing field.

He ducked his head down as his face heated up. "Oh. Yeah, sure."

Momo giggled before taking Shouto's hand in her own. This wasn't the first time they've done this, but Shouto still wasn't used to it. Momo's small, delicate hand closed around his. Of the two of them, she had the tighter grip. Shouto's grasp was flimsy, uncertain. He was doing his best, but this was new territory for him.

The streets of Musutafu served as a comfortable backdrop to break the tension. Momo was the type of girl who liked to window shop, pointing out every little clothing piece or accessory she found adorable. While fashion wasn't one of Shouto's primary interests, he didn't mind discussing it, especially as he lacked the social skills to think of any conversation topics himself.

It still hadn't sunk in. Shouto Todoroki, quiet, awkward, cosplay-loving Shouto Todoroki, had a girlfriend. And it wasn't just any girl, but the same girl he'd been crushing on since the sixth grade. How couldn't he fall for Momo? She was smart, pretty, one of the nicest people Shouto knew, and well out of his league. He had no idea why she chose him of all people, but he wasn't complaining.

And as it turned out, having a girlfriend was pretty cool. Shouto learned more about Momo in the past week than he had in the past year, just from their late night talks over the phone. It was easier to act like himself with that barrier between them, especially through text message. Interacting with Momo in person, however, was a different story.

So there he was, offering a weak attempt at hand holding as he led Momo to his house. He didn't attempt to thread their fingers together. This was intimate enough already.

Back at the Todoroki house, Shouto was more in his element, for a few reasons. One, he always felt safe in his own home. Two, he and Momo started working on a special project as soon as they arrived. And three, that project involved his greatest passion.

"Those look incredible."

Rei, Shouto's mother, beamed as she entered the living room. A plate of chocolate chip cookies in hand, her eyes glistened as she observed the posters sprawled out on the carpet, the ones Shouto designed for Momo's student council campaign. 

On the floor, Shouto gave a shy smile as he peered at his artwork. He completed three posters so far, each carrying a different theme since he couldn't decide on a favorite. Though now, studying them, he thought the one with the comic book style border and font looked the best.

"They're not finished yet," he said.

Rei set the cookies on the coffee table. "Well, they look great. You'd definitely get my vote, Momo."

Momo smiled. "Thanks, Mrs. Todoroki."

"Absolutely. Now go on, you two. Take some."

Shouto obliged, turning away from Kori, his Persian cat, who was nuzzled up to his leg. Every bite into this chocolate deliciousness he took with caution, not allowing a crumb to hit the floor. If there was one thing about Kori, it was her love for human food. If given the opportunity, she'd gobble down every last bit her tiny paws could get a hold of.

"These are good, Mom," Shouto said once he finished chewing. "Thank you."

Momo nodded, but was too enthralled by Rei's homemade cookies (she was already on her second) to offer any verbal acknowledgement.