First Date

Katsuki and Shouto were better actors than they let on. When Friday rolled around, a full school week under their belt, no one suspected a thing. It was fun, in a way. Sneaking around with a significant other, a little game for their eyes only, was new territory for Katsuki. It was only fitting that he experienced it with the person who understood him better than anyone.

Of course, he was eager for the amount of uninterrupted time he'd have with Shouto over the weekend. Sneaking glances in physics, brushing hands under the table during art, and checking each other out in the gym locker room was fun, but Katsuki craved more.

He also didn't feel like waiting.

Mr. Tobita granted Katsuki permission to use the bathroom, so the boy left promptly. He couldn't be gone for too long without getting in trouble, but luckily his destination was just down the hall.

The door to Shouto's pre-calculus class was open, giving Katsuki a perfect view of Shouto's seat. The boy scribbled into his notebook, his nose crinkled and tongue slightly poking out. Katsuki smiled, figuring Shouto wasn't paying attention at all and instead just doodling like the artist he was.

He hung back in the hallway, angling himself so Shouto's teacher wouldn't spot him. He wasn't sure what he would do if any of the other students noticed him hanging in the doorway, but Shouto saved him as usual. Their eyes met, and Shouto's shoulders stiffened as his gaze wandered between Katsuki and his teacher.

Ultimately, he scrunched his brows at Katsuki as if to say, What are you doing?

Katsuki grinned and tilted his head toward the end of the hallway. Come with me.

He strutted toward the staircase. Shouto's voice carried down the hall as he asked if he could be excused. For appearances sake, Katsuki kept his back turned. Someone at any moment could round a corner and catch the two of them. At least the staircase at the end of the wing offered a modicum of privacy.

He hauled down the steps to the lower landing. He then spun around and pressed his back to the wall. Shouto trickled in soon after, Katsuki's face brightening when they spotted each other.

"Why'd you invite me here?" Shouto asked when he reached the landing.

Katsuki cupped his hand around Shouto's. "I wanted to see you."

Shouto peered up and down the staircase. "Someone can walk by."

Katsuki snorted. "I forgot you're not used to breaking the rules." He brought Shouto's hand to his mouth, kissing the knuckles. "Hardly anyone uses this staircase. But I'm sorry for corrupting you."

His words prompted no verbal response, but the timid smile offered from a blushing Shouto was gratifying enough.   

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something," Katsuki clarified.

"It couldn't wait?"

"Sure," he said, beaming, "but where's the fun in that?"

Shouto conceded with a playful eyeroll. "Okay. What's up?"

"I wanna take you on a date tonight. A real one, not just to the ice cream shop."

Contagious excitement reflected in Shouto's eyes. Katsuki could practically hear Shouto's stomach flip, which made him just as jittery. He wondered if this phase would ever end, the nonstop butterflies and cheesy smiles and overall gushiness. It probably would. It happened to everyone. But Katsuki couldn't picture this phase with Shouto stopping any time soon. 

"Where would we go?" Shouto asked.

Katsuki winked. "That's a surprise for later. So whaddaya say? Will you go on a date with me?"