Prom

Katsuki went to prom alone, just as he intended.

It was bittersweet. He truly didn't want to be here, but he came for Shouto's benefit. If he didn't come, no way Shouto would've. And Shouto deserved a good prom.

He was pleased with his boyfriend's choice of date. He was biased, yes, but he still believed there weren't many girls that were pretty enough to stand next to Shouto and not get overshadowed. Momo was one of the few. Several people literally dropped their draws upon watching her enter the prom venue in her dress. Lilac was definitely her color, and the high-low silhouette highlighted her toned legs.

Of course, Katsuki's eyes were on Shouto. He looked adorable in a suit. The navy complemented both his complexion and his tie that was the same color as Momo's dress.

Before prom even started, Katsuki had his challenges. While their moms got some pictures of him and Shouto together, they weren't the pictures Katsuki actually wanted to take. No, he had to stand back and not frown too hard as he watched his boyfriend do the cliche prom poses with Momo when they picked her up. But this was Katsuki's idea, so he swallowed his pride.

Unfortunately, the dance itself wasn't much better. Katsuki refused to dance, but that was his choice. Momo, on the other hand, could dance until her legs fell off. So it wasn't long after they all arrived that she tried to drag Shouto out on the dance floor.

"Come on," she said. "Everyone's waiting for us."

Shouto cast a worried glance at Katsuki before addressing her. "I'll be there in a minute. Save a spot for me."

When they were the last two at their designated table, Shouto leaned forward. "Would it kill you to join all of us?"

Katsuki forced himself to give a half smile. "You know I don't dance."

"I don't want to leave you here."

"Then don't think of it that way. I'm doing everyone a favor by holding down the fort."

Shouto's pout intensified. "Are you sure?"

Katsuki looked around, just in case. When he was certain no one was looking, he grabbed Shouto's hand under the table. He massaged a thumb over Shouto's skin.

"Go have fun. For me."

Shouto's gaze drifted toward the dance floor. Momo was already swaying and clapping with Mina and Ochaco while Eijiro and Izuku pumped their fists. They all looked ridiculous, Katsuki thought, but they were enjoying themselves. Katsuki would never forgive himself if he robbed Shouto of that same enjoyment.

Shouto sighed. "Okay." He turned back to Katsuki and squeezed his hand. "If at any point you want to go home, let me know. Okay?"

"Okay," Katsuki answered, though he had no plans to cut the night short.

Off Shouto went into the sea of dancing teens. And Katsuki watched on, because that was all he could do. Every now and then, jealousy and resentment bubbled at the surface. Jealousy for everyone out there who could dance with whoever they wanted without judgment. Resentment for himself for caring about being judged in the first place. But every time Shouto looked over, Katsuki simmered those feelings and grinned like he was having more fun than anyone.

He lost track of time sitting there. Hearing the DJ cycle through a bunch of Top 40 hits numbed his brain. But low and behold, his redheaded friend saved him from his misery, even if only for a little bit.

Eijiro nabbed the seat next to Katsuki. He ditched the gel today, letting out his natural hair at Mina's request. Still, the essence of Eijiro was here tonight in the form of a bright red bowtie.