Happy

Waking up was easy when there was something to look forward to.

For Shouto, that something resided within his iPhone 11. Though his alarm had yet to go off, he reached for the device on his nightstand. Before he could formulate the message he wanted to send, he realized a certain somebody beat him to it.

Hitoshi

morning cutie

can't wait to see you today x

Even in the comfort of his bedroom, his own private space, Shouto was embarrassed by the dopiness of his smile. It hadn't left his face since yesterday afternoon when he and Hitoshi shared their first proper kiss. There was probably a curved indent in his pillow, a mark of a boy falling asleep finally understanding the beauty of a blossoming romance.

Unable to contain his excitement, Shouto punched his thumbs along the keyboard at rapid speed.

Shouto

morning!

and same 🥰

It was too good to be true, which only made it a million times sweeter. Shouto's crush, someone he thought he had less than zero chance with, liked him back. Better yet, he could now cross kissing Hitoshi Shinsou off his bucket list.

The kiss was perfect, and so was the one they shared on their walk to the train station. Shouto wasn't ready for PDA yet, so they kissed goodbye at the end of an abandoned street. And just like at the shelter, a golden glow encased Shouto's timid heart. A layer of protection that allowed the boy to grow, heal, and enjoy the direction his life was headed.

Kissing Hitoshi had been on his mind since they parted. More importantly, Shouto wondered how long he'd have to wait to kiss those lips again.

Hitoshi

wanna meet in the library before first period?

Guess he wouldn't be waiting long.

Shouto

ok!

Hitoshi

❤️❤️❤️

Shouto had never gotten dressed so quickly. Which was great, because he dedicated that extra time to meticulously brushing his teeth. He'd normally attempt to perfect his hair, though today he couldn't bring himself to worry. Hitoshi already thought Shouto was cute. Who cared if he had a few loose strands?

Rei's back was to him when he entered the kitchen. She was still preparing breakfast, a clear sign Shouto was up earlier than usual. Kori strutted against the tile to nuzzle against his leg. Shouto bent down to scratch behind her ear before addressing Rei. 

"Hey Mom"

Rei spun around, surprise overtaking her face as she took her son into view. "Oh. Morning, sweetie. I thought you'd still be sleeping."

Shouto stood up and brushed off his pants. "Yeah." He gave a shy smile. "I need to leave for school early today. Anime club stuff."

Rei smiled back. "Guess I better finish up these eggs, then."