Three's A Crowd

When Shouto climbed into Katsuki's truck the following morning, Katsuki immediately noticed a change in demeanor.

"Morning," he said, amusement reflecting in his eyes.

"Hi," Shouto replied, flashing a smile twice as big as Katsuki's. The giddiness never left his face, not even after he buckled his seatbelt and Katsuki pulled out of their shared driveway.

"Someone's in a good mood," Katsuki teased.

When he reached a red light, he peered at Shouto through the corner of his eye. Sure enough, his friend bit his lip as his smile stretched wider.

"Yeah," Shouto breathed out.

Green light. Katsuki focused back on the road, though he'd rather direct his attention back to Shouto. He hadn't seen his friend this elated in weeks. It was nice to have the old Shouto back, the one that Katsuki cherished so close to his heart.

Plus, in even more adorable news, Shouto was wearing Katsuki's Dynamight hoodie again. It wasn't cold out, but the weather didn't scream the onset of summer. Still not cool enough for the average person to break out the long sleeves, but for Shouto who always got cold, today was perfect sweater weather.

Stop sign. Katsuki's eyes flickered to the hoodie once more. No matter how often Shouto wore it, Katsuki's heart did a tiny front flip at the sight. It was a combination of two things most precious to him: the band that saved his life, and the best friend that pushed him to keep fighting.

That sweatshirt meant a lot to Katsuki. So for Shouto to still treasure it a year later, it was a nice reminder that Shouto valued Katsuki just as much as Katsuki valued Shouto.

A little giggle came from the passenger seat as Katsuki drove through the suburbs of Musutafu. Again, he cast a quick glance at Shouto. His friend was still smiling, though this time his excitement was directed at a phone screen, thumbs tapping feverishly away at the keyboard.

Eyes back on the road, Katsuki grinned. "What's so funny? Who're you texting?"

Shouto didn't answer at first, probably because he was finishing up his text. After a few seconds, he responded, "Oh, just Izuku. You know, anime club stuff."

Katsuki snorted. He hadn't a clue what could be so humorous about anime, but he also didn't understand nerd humor. Besides, if it meant he got to hear Shouto's giggle after not hearing it in so long, he'd be an idiot to question it.

Still, he had to steer Shouto a few times as they walked from the parking lot to their lockers as the boy's eyes were glued to his phone, that same giggle sneaking past his lips. Katsuki's locker was closer to the entrance, so they stopped there first. When they reached Shouto's locker, however, Katsuki suppressed a groan as someone was already there, waiting for his friend.

Hitoshi's mouth curved into a smirk that was too eager for the beginning of a school day. "Hey Shouto."

Technically, it didn't appear Hitoshi was waiting for Shouto specifically. Their lockers stood next to each other, something Katsuki learned from walking into school with Shouto every day. Books secured in grasp, Hitoshi shut his locker just as the two boys approached.

Before yesterday, Katsuki never thought much of it. Shouto and Hitoshi only exchanged quick hellos in the morning. In fact, Shouto breezed through grabbing his belongings from his locker so he and Katsuki were off to class before Hitoshi could get two sentences out.

But clearly they had some sort of friendship. Katsuki saw it first hand yesterday. Yet for some reason, Shouto froze Hitoshi out when Katsuki was in close proximity, or anyone really.