A Confession to No One

Katsuki lowered the radio as Shouto climbed into the passenger seat. Katsuki inspected his face, hoping his friend was back to his old self.

"Morning."

"Hi," Shouto mumbled, fastening his seatbelt. He tossed his bag by his feet.

Katsuki watched with sad eyes. Shouto was still in a funk. He was unsure whether he should be concerned for Shouto or be angry with him. What would possess his best friend to shut him out like this?

Shouto'd been acting strange for two weeks now. He rarely smiled, at least around Katsuki. For a moment, Katsuki wondered if he'd done something to upset Shouto, but that didn't make sense. Their friendship was built around honesty. When Katsuki crossed the line, Shouto said so without hesitation.

That's what made this so hard. It wasn't Katsuki's intention to be selfish, but his feelings were hurt. There was nothing, absolutely nothing, that Shouto couldn't talk to him about. So for his friend to choose silence, Katsuki figured it was serious. And if Shouto insisted that everything was fine whenever he was prodded about it, then there was no way for Katsuki to help.

Shouto twisted his face in confusion as he peered at Katsuki. "What?"

Katsuki sported a fake smile, not caring if it was obvious or not. "Nothing," he replied before setting his truck in reverse and backing out of their driveway.

The ride to school was uncomfortably quiet. Shouto attempted to make conversation to pass the time, but Katsuki wasn't interested. There was only one topic he was willing to discuss, and Shouto made it clear that he wouldn't budge no matter how many times Katsuki brought it up. So, Katsuki didn't.

The first time Katsuki detected a wisp of a smile on Shouto's face was before their Japanese literature class. Katsuki just finished a rather tough algebra exam, but his dread over not doing as well as he would've liked came second to his friend's change in attitude.

Shouto proceeded down the hallway alongside that new kid, Hitoshi Shinsou. Katsuki didn't have the best impression of Hitoshi. He was quiet, wore way too much plaid, and looked like he hadn't slept in months. But if that's what's most offensive about him, then Katsuki couldn't muster enough energy to care about the guy.

Still, he was surprised Shouto was with him. Were they friends? Shouto never mentioned him. But they seemed more than acquaintances at least as Shouto offered a tiny smile as Hitoshi said something to him.

Katsuki was unsure how to interpret that. As of late Shouto was an anxious mess around everyone, including Katsuki. Yet this guy that'd been here for less than a month brought out a smile from him with seemingly no effort at all. What the hell was that about?

When Shouto's eyes met Katsuki's, his smile dropped instantly. He surveyed the rest of the students in the hallway, that worrisome expression returning. Clutching his books to his chest, he rushed into the classroom, leaving Hitoshi behind.

Katsuki froze, perplexed by what transpired. Maybe he read the situation wrong after all. Maybe Shouto was mad at him, even though Katsuki was clueless as to why that could be.

Shouto's desk was in the center of their lit class, Katsuki's desk right behind him. Discomfort settled in Katsuki's stomach as he shuffled inside, his gaze falling on his friend who appeared to be on the verge of a full blown panic attack.

Katsuki didn't even care anymore if he caused this. All he wanted was for Shouto to be okay.

"Hi Katsuki," Shouto said weakly as Katsuki passed him.

Katsuki offered a quick hello and sat down. Once he was settled, he cupped a hand on Shouto's shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze.

As Shouto spun around, Katsuki leaned forward. A tenth grade classroom wasn't the ideal place to have this conversation, but this couldn't wait. Miss Kayama was too busy writing today's lesson on the board to notice anyway.