Ready or Not

Tenya wove his arms from the front of the music room. "All right, everyone!"

Everyone quieted down. Unlike the average high school classroom, the anime club members were respectful of authority. A single request for silence was all it took for students to oblige.

Tenya smiled. "As promised, today we'll be starting Parasyte."

Shouto did a small victory dance in his seat. "Yes," he whispered.

Next to him, Hitoshi snickered. Shouto smiled to himself. Inviting Hitoshi to join anime club was the best decision he made all year. It was lovely to have a common interest with the boy he liked, plus it was endearing to watch Hitoshi develop an appreciation for anime. The only negative was Shouto found himself often observing Hitoshi's reaction instead of what was on the screen.

Tenya adjusted his glasses. "We'll watch the first two episodes, then leave the remaining time for discussion should anyone have something they want to say."

This was typical for anime club meetings. Participating in discussions was optional (Shouto rarely participated as it triggered his anxiety), but when dozens of nerds congregated into one room to obsess over anime, conversations flowed naturally.

After Tenya dimmed the lights, he took a seat in the back row next to Izuku. Shouto and Hitoshi sat beside them, Hitoshi tucked into the back right corner. Shouto's smile stretched across his face as Parasyte started to play.

And yet, even the draw of his favorite show couldn't keep him from glancing to his right. Hitoshi tilted his head to one side as he concentrated on the screen, flexing the collarbones that peeked out from his scoop neck tee. It was both adorable and sexy.

Hitoshi then met his gaze. Shouto snapped his head back toward the screen immediately, blood rushing to his face. A bit routine for them. They'd been a couple (though not official) for almost three weeks, but Shouto was still so captivated by Hitoshi's beauty that he kept embarrassing himself over it.

Hitoshi leaned toward Shouto's ear and dropped his voice. "If you really want this to be a secret, you can't be so obvious."

Shouto kept looking forward. "Sorry."

His heart palpitated until Hitoshi's large hand slipped into his. A bold move, though the music room was dark enough that no one should notice. Besides, Parasyte was far too intriguing for any of the anime club kids to peer toward the last two seats in the back row.

Hitoshi squeezed his hand. "Not like I mind."

A junior in the front row made a shushing noise, which resulted in Shouto dropping Hitoshi's hand like it was on fire. Though once it was clear no one would be turning in their direction, he grabbed it again, with no intention of letting go until the two episodes were over.

While Shouto provided no commentary during today's discussion, he beamed through the entire ordeal. Listening to his peers rave about an anime he suggested boosted his confidence. Of course, Hitoshi smiling and offering positive feedback for Parasyte only succeeded in multiplying the amount of butterflies in Shouto's stomach.

After the discussion wrapped up, kids shuffled out the door and headed to their first period classes. Those who sat in the back row took their time. Class didn't start for another eight minutes.

Tenya checked his watch. "I've gotta drop something off to Mr. Aizawa before class starts. Student council duties." He eyed the three other boys that occupied his row. "Who wants to clean up and return the projector to the main office?"

"I'll do it," Shouto said.

"I'll help," Hitoshi added.

Tenya nodded. "Perfect."