The Harsh Truth

If life was like studying for a test, Shouto would pass with flying colors. With three months of high school under his belt, he had yet to receive a grade below an A. Not that he could take all the credit. Having Momo as a girlfriend and permanent study partner helped. And while he left Mr. Ectoplasm's geometry class positive he aced that test, his walk carried little confidence.

As he grabbed a history textbook from his locker, Katsuki headed in his direction. Shouto waved, to which Katsuki responded with a nod before walking past him. Normally he'd stop to talk to Shouto, but Katsuki was still catching up on all the work he missed while he was out, so side conversations were kept to a minimum.

Shouto didn't mind. At least his friend was focused on something positive. When Katsuki told him he didn't want to live anymore, Shouto's lungs nearly collapsed. He had no clue what he'd do without Katsuki. Katsuki was his rock, his peace.

Shouto already endured the pain of losing someone special to him. Even after five years, his wounds were patched together like a badly rushed art project. Passable at first glance, but fragile enough to crumble from the slightest disturbance. For that level of hurt to repeat itself, Shouto doubted he could be saved a second time.

So, Shouto supported Katsuki however necessary, even if their friendship temporarily took a backseat. Granted, Shouto wasn't the only one. The sole companion Katsuki had this week were the headphones cemented over his ears that he only parted with during class. Shouto didn't even have time to ask Katsuki what he was listening to.

Of course, Katsuki wasn't completely closed off to everyone. He stopped toward the end of the hall to share a kiss with Camie, who had color to her face again now that her boyfriend was back in school and with a healthy mindset. The exchange was quick, both because Katsuki had to get going and because Mr. Aizawa immediately scolded them for engaging in PDA, but Shouto caught the boyish grin on Katsuki's face before he sped off.

Shouto smiled too, but not for long. He was happy for Katsuki, but seeing him with Camie reminded Shouto that no matter how much he excelled in school, there was one subject he still had no clear understanding of.

Love.

He saw it with Katsuki. The way his friend's eyes lit up whenever Camie was nearby. Or the way he smiled like an idiot when she texted him. Or the way he blushed when Shouto teased him about her.

It was nice to see, but it also had Shouto questioning his own relationship.

Did his eyes sparkle like that when he gazed at Momo? Did he smile at her like he just won the lottery? Did they ever sicken others around them from how in love they appeared to be?

The more time that passed, the less certain he was.

On cue, Momo rounded the corner and met Shouto by his locker. They had the same history class, so they always walked together. Unlike Katsuki, Momo was a strict rule follower, so she held off on kissing Shouto with a teacher close by. She did, however, bounce on her toes as a wholesome smile spread across her face.

"Do you have plans tomorrow? Please say no."

Shouto closed his locker and swung his bag over his shoulder. "Nope, what's up?"

As they headed toward class, her smile stretched wider. "How do you feel about going to the movies for a triple date? You and me, Mina and Eijiro, and Ochaco and Izuku?"

Shouto blinked twice. "Oh." His gaze drifted toward a happy couple walking in the opposite direction, the guy's arm around the girl's shoulder. Shouto forced himself not to frown.

"We would've invited Katsuki and Camie," Momo added, "but Katsuki's still on house arrest."

Shouto wrinkled his nose. "Um, yeah, sure. We can do that."