36. Lemon Water

Soraya's POV:

Well, just as I had expected... this party had turned into a fucking shitshow before it even started. That was an exaggeration but not much of one. The party had started an hour ago, but the fact it was already out of hand was something I assumed would happen. Even though there were roughly a hundred or more strangers in Xavier's house I was still able to locate the people that mattered to me.

Standing on the kitchen island while in a grand open space such as Xavier's first floor did indeed help the situation.

Xavier was caught in the middle of what had become the dancing area in the great empty expanse of the entry way, one that focused directly on the grand staircase in the background and had no furniture so that was where your attention was directed to. Zeke was watching Xav carefully as Xav took another shot from a red plastic shot cup. We were supposed to be watching each other's backs, keeping track of who was drinking what and making sure none of us went overboard. It would be easy enough for me, I had decided quite early on during the planning stage that alcohol would not be entering my bloodstream tonight and I had told everyone as such. Water and juice for me tonight, maybe some soda, but no mind-numbing alcohol.

Willow and Alistair were in the lounge room, keeping to the edge and constantly touching each other. I had no idea what they were saying to each other, but watching Willow's face start to flush as Alistair whispered something into her ear gave me a rough idea. He had an arm around her waist, keeping her flush against his side as they observed the party. They had also decided they wouldn't be drinking tonight, or if they did it would only be two max. Seeing Willow touch Alistair's neck with a gentle brush made me want to look away, to find the one person I wanted to be spending time with tonight.

I locked onto his blue eyes as he walked over to me, his hands on his hips as he looked up at me, standing on top of the marble counter.

"What are you doing?" He asked me, I squatted down on the top of the counter to match his height and looked him in the eye.

"Making sure everyone is okay, needed a good vantage point." I said before sitting down in front of him. He took hold of my thighs and pulled me to the edge of the counter, a leg on either side of his waist.

"And is everyone okay?" He asked, tilting his head to the side as he brushed his nose against mine.

"For now." I said, he shook his head, incidentally brushing his nose against mine with each movement.

"You worry too much."

"I think I worry the right amount."

"Just take a breath, everyone is here for you. This is your birthday party after all."

"Belated birthday party, and I hardly know anyone here so I think they're actually here for the drinks." I said, a smile on my lips before Ashton gave me a feather-light kiss. Afterwards he pulled away and reached up to the 'Birthday Girl' crown that was sitting on my head to straighten it.

"Who cares about those guys? Just relax, have fun."

"I'm constantly waiting for something to go wrong. In case you forgot that's what we're trying to do, make Xav want to leave this place. And I still have the feeling that something really bad is going to happen." I said, he nodded and walked away from me for a moment, returning with a bottle of lemon flavoured water.