22. From Bad to Worse

Ashton's POV:

The electric energy of the music vibrated the puddles outside, adding to the humidity and the movement of bodies. People were dancing everywhere, girls shrieking as they ran outside and guys shouting as they chased after them. The air felt alive as it chilled the rain water drenching my bare arms and face. Hairstyles were ruined but no one cared, too intoxicated to notice. My own was dripping water into my eyes and slapping against my forehead with every move.

The girl in my arms was no different as she shimmied her body side to side, violet hair sticking to her cheeks and catching in her eyelashes. She must have been from another school or maybe even already in college. I wasn't sure, nor could I really tell with 5 drinks already buzzing through my bloodstream.

A round of shouts rose up as lightning cracked in the distance, drinks raising in salute to nature. It was all so surreal and it was the perfect way to celebrate a win against the Mavericks.

My ankle had been wrapped and secured in a bandage that would forever be hidden from the prying eyes of my mother, and all pain from it had been drowned in alcohol. Leaving only an immense need to move and keep dancing, which I was happy to oblige to.

"What's your name?!" The girl in my arms shouted over the music, peering up at me through her damp eyelashes and running mascara.

"Ashton." I replied with a smirk, raising my voice to be heard and leaning in closer when she gestured for my attention, her lips pressing against the shell of my ear.

"Do you want to go somewhere more fun, Ashton?" She asked, voice sultry and all too suggestive. The idea was brilliant, but I wasn't ready to leave the ecstatic energy of the dance floor.

"Maybe later" I replied close to her ear, missing the eye-roll she made as I pulled back, holding her out at arms length.

"I think I'm gonna go get another drink then!" She shouted, her unhappiness clear across her face. It didn't bother me really, she clearly didn't want to go do anything 'fun' with me anymore, and I wasn't up for it at the moment. So I let her go without so much as a 'Goodbye' as she disappeared into the swarm of moving bodies.

Everything was turning into a blur as I glanced around, a lazy grin on my face and arms in raising into the air. The crowd morphed around me without the girl in my arms and I welcomed the sway of bodies. I felt liquid splash on my shirt, but the urge to care was gone, along with all inhibitions and I found myself accepting a drink from a stranger without a second thought. Downing it carelessly and wincing at the unusual taste, but it was gone before I was able to hold onto the mild concern fleeting across my mind.

I just wanted to dance, even as the room dipped and swayed before my eyes.

My movements became less and less co-ordinated as the minutes went by, and I found myself bumping into drunken teens, more often than not. It was a strange feeling. Almost weightless. But as a wave of dizziness ached inside my head I began moving across the dance floor towards the screen doors.

Water became a fuzzy idea and I headed in the direction of what was maybe a kitchen. My legs unstable beneath me and I tripped over my feet several times. Only stopping when I hit a wall, white coating my eyes for a moment.

Water.

I needed water.

Water would help. It always did.

"Hey Ashton!" Someone greeted and I felt myself dipping to the side, no longer held up by the wall, "Woah, man, I think you've had a bit too much to drink." the person continued and I felt something solid once again holding me up.