25. Erreurs

Ashton's POV:

The hospital was horrible, cold and sterile, but the worst was waiting for news on Xav, I didn't even know what had happened to him. And if Zeke's appearance was anything to go off of it couldn't have been anything good. He looked tired and unusually pale, clothes still heavy with water. The situation was definitely worse than I'd thought.

I shot a glance to Soraya only to see she was already looking at me, eyebrows raised in question as she wrapped her arms around her adopted brother. She looked just as worried as I felt, and didn't seem to care that Zeke's cloths were soaking her own.

Maer sat regally in her seat, one leg folded over the other and a phone pressed to her ear. I hated her honestly, she was rude and cruel, and I had no idea how Xavier had managed to grow up so normal with a parent like her. But she was still his parent and he loved her, even as she tried to micromanage every part of his life. It never worked of course, he did what he wanted, was friends with whoever he wanted to be and that was one of the reasons I was so proud to have him as a friend. He wasn't afraid to stand up for what he wanted and he never took shit from either of his parents.

With another glance at Zeke and Soraya, I shrugged off my own jacket, walking over to them and handing it towards Zeke.

"Here, you're probably freezing your balls off by now" I forced my voice to sound happy, forced my lips into a grin, one he returned half-heartedly as he accepted the jacket. Soraya released him as she shot me an appreciative look, Zeke already pulling the damp fabric of his jumper from his body to replace it with the dry fabric of mine.

"Thanks" Zeke replied, backing up to the seats a few feet behind and slumping down on the hard plastic, his head dropping to his hands.

"Ashton, can I talk to you in the hall please?" Soraya spoke up, and I almost frowned at her using my full name. It was so unusual and the situation made it worse, but I nodded in response, moving towards the hallway to the left of us and out of view of both Zeke and Maer.

"Yeah?" I asked once we were out of sight, turning to face her as she leaned against the wall.

"This is bad, like I mean really bad." Ray stated, a frown on her face,

"I know." I replied with a sigh, leaning back against the wall beside her and screwing my eyes shut, the thumping in my head lessening enough for me to think properly. "What the hell even happened last night." I was having trouble understanding how everything had all gone to shit so fast, it was just a party, it was supposed to be fun. We'd won baseball, it was supposed to be a night of victory but now we were in the hospital.

"A lot of shit that couldn't have been helped." Ray replied, her tone just as let down as mine, "I mean you getting drugged, Zeke and Xav falling off a roof? No one could have predicted it."

"I should have been there for him." I stated bitterly, if I hadn't gotten so caught up in the win I wouldn't have gotten drugged; I would have been there for Xav. But I wasn't. I should have noticed something was wrong , I should have been there. I should have stopped it. But I wasn't.

"It's not your fault." Soraya stated bluntly, "This isn't about you, so don't make it about you. Maybe you don't know everything about Xav? Maybe he didn't want you there? Did you ever think of that?"

"He's one of my best friends, we tell each other everything, he could have come to me about anything." I opened my eyes with a wince, the light hurting my iris' but I ignored it, I didn't get to mope around because I'd been fucked over, it wasn't my place. Especially not when Xav was much worse off than me.

"Yeah? Well maybe he doesn't tell you everything." She stated with a glare in my direction,

"Why are you getting so into this?" I whisper shouted, "He tells me everything okay."