20. Baseball Brawls

Ashton's POV:

"Game day boys, and girl! And I expect a win out of this one!" Coach shouted, his eyes glued to his team list, "Now get your asses on the bus we don't have time to waste."

It was early. Too early to be awake, but I'd already had at least 3 coffee's this morning and been able to sneak out the house before anyone else was awake. In short; I was buzzed. My skin felt like it was vibrating off the bones and I knew that wasn't a good thing, but it helped keep my mind off of the past. I needed a fresh, clear head and this was the only way to get it.

My game shirt was clinging to my body, and my hair was still damp from my shower, but the sports duffle over my shoulder was a familiar feeling. The air was crisp and the dew was still shinning on the grass, I don't know why I was noticing these small things, but even the rank smell of the bus seemed amplified.

Almost everyone was already wearing at least half their gear, it was too early to bother with wearing casual, school hadn't even started yet.

"Yo Ash, you ready for this?" Xavier called from his seat beside me, we were up the back on the bench seat, Soraya to my left, she'd chosen to kick up her legs on the empty seat in front of her and Xavier to my right, who was lazing against the window.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world" I smirked, running a hand through my hair and ruffling the damp strands.

"Where the hell is Lovelock!?" Coach's voice boomed over the seats, his clip board still in hand as he scanned the rows as if he expected Finn to suddenly appear out of no where.

"He's late, Coach" Calen called from the middle, "Just texted me, said he had to pick something up first."

"Well how long is he going to be?" Coach demanded,

"He's coming now" Jasper answered instead, and everyone turned to look at him, he was gesturing out the window with his thumb where two people could be seen climbing out of a car in the parking lot.

"Wait who's with him?" Alex asked, and everyone murmured in confusion,

"It's just Alistair," Justin called, "Should have known he wouldn't miss this game" and there was a collective agreeance from the rest of the team and I shook my head with a smirk.

"What took you so long,Lovelock?" Coach glared, as Finn and Alistair made it to the base of the steps, "We were meant to leave 5 minutes ago."

"Sorry, Coach, had to pick up Alistair" Finn shrugged, moving past the coach and picking out a seat behind Calen, leaving Alistair to pat Coach on the shoulder with a grin,

"You know me Coach, couldn't miss this one, now could I?" He stated, offering a wink before wandering down the hallway of the bus and dropping himself into the seat in front of Soraya.

"Wait, why are you here?" She asked, clearly confused, after all he didn't play on the team.

"Alistair comes to most games" Xav answered, leaning across me to slap a greeting hand on his shoulder, "Poor bastard can't stand being left alone at school"

"But what about his classes?" Soraya raised an eyebrow and I let out a laugh,

"Sweetheart, it's called ditching" I stated, "He just skips the day, not like he does work anyway"

Soraya rolled her eyes at the pet name and started pulling her hair up into a ponytail, I'd always found it interesting how girls did that. Janice used to do all these intricate things with her hair before dad died, she'd taught me how to do simple things like braids back then, so I could do the twins hair for them. But I'd never understood how girls were able to style their own hair so simply.