21. Gilderoy Lockhart

Soraya's POV:

I sat on the bench fuming, I can't believe that Ashton would tell me to stay out of the fight let alone the fact he was even playing this season. The cockhead was going to get killed, whether it was by the Maverick's or myself was a whole different story.

Out the corner of my eye I saw the movement of someone walking towards me, but I didn't turn to look at them. Certain my anger was up like a clear 'Do Not Approach' Sign, which apparently was blatantly ignored as the person took a seat on the bench beside me. Albeit hesitantly.

"Hi Soraya, how you doing?" they asked in a cautious voice.

"Perfectly fine." I stated through gritted teeth, not even bothering to try and sound truthful. I was so pissed off at Ashton that I was ready to walk out and leave the team to sort their own shit out. I couldn't believe that Coach was letting this happen. He was supposed to look after his players, not let them play when they should be resting a probably still shitty limb.

"Why don't I believe that?" The person asked next, and that was when I turned to look at them, practically jumping off the bench.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I half shouted as I realised it was Ezekiel who was next to me.

"I'm just here to watch my sister play the sport she loves oh so much." He stated, a lopsided smile taking up his face and all I could do was roll my eyes.

"Sure sure, I know you're just here to watch your 'boyfriend'." I retaliated mockingly, he seemed shocked at my statement for some reason, his eyes blown wide as they shifted around nervously, like he expected someone to be listening in.

"No, definitely here to watch you and only to watch you and definitely not anyone else. At all. Nope just you." He rambled, which was a main clue as to the fact he was lying. Second clue was the fact that he wasn't even looking at me when he said it, his eyes were drawn to Xavier as he messed with his glove obliviously.

"You lying little-"

"Players take the field!" I heard the plate umpire shout, cutting me off, and I shot Zeke a 'we-will-discuss-this-later' look, before grabbing my glove off the bench. Scowl on my face as I jogged out onto the field with the rest of the team. I watched with narrowed eyes as Ashton moved to get ready behind home plate, squatting with his glove up for my five warm up pitches. My focus drifting onto his glove after a moment; I pitched the first of my five rounds, holding back my speed so the other team wouldn't be as prepared as they thought they were. The ball flew from my hand straight and true every single time as I went ahead with my other four, straight to his glove without a hitch.

When my practice throws were over, the first batter stepped up to the plate, standing ready. It was someone I didn't recognize, but that didn't mean much considering I only knew Pierce.

"Play ball!" The umpire called, and I readied my stance to throw the ball, leaning forward to read the signals that Ashton was sending me; outside low. I frowned at the call, but pulled back and let the ball go, sending it flying straight for his target.

"Strike!" The umpire called as Ashton threw the ball back to me, a smirk visible through the cage of his mask. I held the ball tight in my hand, gritting my teeth as Ashton called the signal for another outside, I shook my head, but he insisted.

Growling my annoyance I pulled back and let it fly towards his glove again as an overly outside, outside pitch, it's what he called so it's what he got. The batter swung and missed the ball by a quarter of an inch, giving two strikes to me. When Ashton returned to his squat after throwing the ball back, he signalled for an off-pace, inside low. I went with it, pulling my arm back and letting it go, watching as it went exactly how he wanted and where he wanted it.