39. Obvious Reasons

Ashton's POV:

Soraya was still asleep, not that I was surprised. I know how terribly she had been sleeping before last night, so knowing that she was finally safe, that Adam was locked up and never going to be coming after her again... she could finally relax.

Me, on the other hand, between staying up until four this morning to get Xav settled and then rocking up here at exactly eight AM, which was when the nurses said they would let me back in again... the coffee I'd had to drink wasn't enough to combat the three hours total of sleep I managed to get in between flashbacks of panic and terror.

I sat down on the chair next to her bed, my hand resting next to hers but not touching. After what happened last night I wasn't sure if we were back to square one or if we were okay.

Her parents told me they would be here at eleven, they had police to talk to and more statements to give. Kelley and Dave wanted someone with her as often as possible, so I told them I would stay with her. I didn't say that I was unlikely to leave once they arrived, but I'm sure they would figure that out in their own time.

I felt movement in the bed, and when I looked up I saw Soraya squinting against the bright lights before her eyes landed on mine.

"Jesus, it's like the light of a thousand suns in here." She said.

"Would you like me to turn them off? I didn't think about-"

"It's fine, just give me a minute." She said, her eyes finally adjusting as she looked at her hands, seeing mine lying an inch away from hers. "You know, you don't have to ask my permission to hold my hand when we are what we are." She had a small smile on her face, her hair tussled from sleep.

"I just... after last night... I wanted to make sure you were..." I didn't know what to say, and instead of letting me stumble my way through my words she took a hold of my hand.

"I feel strangely light." She said, her dark blue eyes landing on mine. "I'm not saying I'm cured or anything, but knowing that Adam has been caught definitely eases my fears."

"That simple, huh? Should have done this months ago then." I joked, she laughed.

"Yeah, definitely should have." She responded with a sarcastic nod. But then her smile fell from her face. "I am going to need so much therapy after this is all done."

"We all do..." I trailed off. "You, for obvious reasons. Me because what happened last night traumatised me as well. Xav because of last night and the abuse he's faced over the years. Alistair, similar reasons. Well, Willow might be okay though."

"You know, the response I was looking for there was something along the lines of 'no you don't' or maybe a joke like 'I can fix it for you' and then you kiss me or something. Not an admission that it is indeed the best course for everyone in our group except for Will." She said, a smile on her face.

"Therapy is always a good choice, how do you think I'm coping with my Dad's death so well?" I asked her, she tilted her head to the side.

"I..." she didn't seem to know how to respond.

"After this year we all need to heal." I said, she nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Although, I'm not saying that what happened to you wasn't the worst out of all of us if that is also what you were fishing for." I said with a smile, she returned the look.

"No, I wasn't. The only feelings I have about last night are that I'm glad it's over. The cops told me Adam had to come to hospital though, what happened?" She asked, I took a deep breath.