Between Black And White - Part 2

Back in Time

"MOM, WHERE IS MY PHONE?"

Annoyed I screamed trying to search it while it was ringing but my room was a big mess. I don't understand why my mother can't let my room the way it is. She must always clean it in a month or two. But there is no point in arguing with your mother.

The phone started ringing for the third time increasing my temper now. I decided to look under the pile of torn out clothes stacked up on my study table. These clothes were more important for my mother than the one I was still going to wear as she had to give it to het kitty donations. Fortunately to my relief I found the phone under the pile. In a hurry, I picked up without looking at the caller's name.

"Hello?" I answered, panting.

"What the... did you run a marathon before answering my call?" a similar husky voice questioned from the other end.

"What? Who is it?" I sat on the chair beside me to calm down a bit.

"There is no time for 'Who', 'What', 'Where' right now. I have been calling for a thousandth time now. Quick! Get ready in your best dress and be there at the gate in half an hour. I am leaving in ten." He said casually.

"Are you insane, Ohm?" I asked trying to sound as casual as possible. Although I knew once he had something in mind, nobody could contradict it.

"Yes. Now shut up and do as I say." He disconnected.

I sat there for a while trying to recall exactly what he asked me to do. And then it hit me. He wants me to go with him for the New Year's Eve. No way! I called him back again only to get diverted to his voice mail. After two attempts, I gave up dialing. I rushed to mom, hoping she will surely help me escape this situation.

"Mom?"

"I don't know where your phone is. I have a lot of work to do. Now go away." She replied furiously without looking back.

"Mom, Ohm is coming" I said in a low tone, almost whispering.

"Why?" And then she paused for a moment before turning to me. To my surprise, she seemed delighted. "Are you two going for a New Year's Party?" she asked now smiling.

"I don't know. He called and asked me to get ready. Said he'll be here in half an hour. I don't know what that means. I just came to inform you this and that I am not going." I said pouting.

"Why? Go get ready. He is coming from 40 Kilometers away. You should have said no when he asked you." She turned back to her work and said "Now go get ready fast. You guys should try to leave as early as possible so that you can come back on time."

Great! I realized I talked to the wrong person. Mom likes Ohm more than she liked my dad. If it would have been possible for her, she would have adopted him. But why should I go to the party? I hate parties! If there is any idea about best New Year Eve, then it is staying home in my shorts and reading a good book. The idea of going out in public, dressing stupidly to meet the standards that have been set by people you don't know, dancing like over-enthusiastic kids on the songs you hardly like to listen to and greeting all the people in the world whom you don't meet for the rest of the year, just disgusts me. This is the stupidest thing anybody can do on a special evening. And yet many people like it. But I don't. Why can't I do what I want? Why are my best friend and mother spoiling my new year? Unfortunately, my sister has already planned to go to her friend's place for a girl's night out. Otherwise, I would have taken her with me for company. She gets to party her way, I don't. Isn't there anybody who would understand me?