Fulfilled Wishes

Back in Time

I was at beach with my brother and cousins. My uncle was a military doctor and had his posting in Phuket that year. They used to live near the beach and it was the only reason we were happy about visiting his place. His daughters, Ann and Araya used to bore us though. Jom and I had decided to play beach volley ball, but because of these girls, we had to help them making sand castles. Being the eldest of the lot is a tough task.

"Bro, this is so much fun, right?", Ann asked. I saw Jom rolling his eyes. It was fun to see him breaking the little castle every time after Araya used to ask him to help.

"Yeah" I replied disinterested, smelling the sea wind. The salty wind of beach, I strangely felt good breathing it in. Maybe, I would even settle down at a beach in future. Nothing can come between the sea and me.

"I want to become an architect when I grow up. I love building castles. I'll build homes then." Ann said, "What do you want to be?" she asked.

I shrugged, "I don't know..."

"Bro look!" Jom exclaimed pointing at a giant kite that a kite vendor was flying on the beach. It was his way of advertising.

"Wow!" I could not take my eyes off the extra ordinary beauty and grace with which the kite was flying freely in the sky. I wished I could be as free as the kites, the birds. Nothing that can stop me. As we all were gasping in awe of it, a passenger plane flew from over it, very high in the sky, making a loud noise cutting the air.

For once, the timing of the question and realization made complete sense now.

"I'll be back in 10." I informed Jom, Ann and Araya and ran towards the nearest phone booth at the beach. The phone kept ringing for a while before someone picked it up.

"Hello?" a similar voice came.

"Hey, I got it." I said

"Ohmi?" he asked.

"You always used to ask me if I have any dream, well, I have now." I said smiling.

"What is it? Tell me. NOW!" He commanded.

"I'll meet you soon Chaplin. Bye!" I said and disconnected before he could say anything.

"Pilot! I want to become a pilot. He was right. He knew it!" I said to myself while walking happily at the beach.

Present Day

Can't believe I have already fulfilled one dream of my life and today I am having dinner with the second and only remaining dream.

"Thank god I slept in the afternoon. Jet lag was really annoying me." he said having his soup. I had taken him out to my favorite bistro for dinner.

"You know what? You should thank me for it." I said.

"Um... Ohmi?" he called my name like almost a whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for handling my family situation." He smiled and then started laughing. "Nonnie said, Dad is thankful that you are here with me."

"You are always scared for no reason. I am not scared of uncle Ae" she grimaced. "Yes, Aunt Ying is a bit scary though." We both burst into laughter.

After dinner, we both decided to walk back home.

"Tell me something," I asked him, "why are you scared of doing what you want?"

"I am not." He snapped in defense, "Why do you say?"

"Ok, tell me one thing you did that you love, without being scared about anybody's reaction." I asked calmly.

He went quite for a while and then started mumbling.

"No, not that one... nope, that neither... sigh, maybe you are right-" he said, "no wait, I got it. I came here. Without being scared of any reaction. Didn't I?" he asked.

"For onsite!"

"No, I came here for love." He said.

"Bullshit!" I snapped.

"I came here for you. I love you. So obviously, I came for love." He said and smiled with self-pride.

My heart skipped a beat at what he said. I knew I wanted to hear it, I knew I started this conversation to get this answer. But I never knew the feeling I will get, when I hear it for real. He was still clueless as to what he had confessed. And I was too eager to hear it once again.

"You what?" I asked.

He looked at me confused.

"What did you just say?" I asked him.

"I said, I came here for you. I..." he realized it now. He stopped walking and looked at me, "I came for love." He looked away with sly smile.

"And?" I asked. He kept smiling now looking at me. "C'mon Non! Just say it." I pleaded.

"I love you, Ohmi." He said.

I took a deep breath looking at him. The words which I had heard a thousand times in my imagination, were what I was hearing now. He was smiling, looking at me tenderly. This is the look I wanted to see in his eyes. I wanted to tell him so many things. I wanted to let him know about all the dreams I have seen about us being together. But I had no words coming out of my mouth. He smiled wider now and held both my hands.

"I love you Ohm Pawat!" he exclaimed with happiness.

"I love you too Non!" I replied and pulled him into a hug.

That moment was perfect. A moment which cannot be described in words.

"You played me right?" he asked playfully.

"How else would I have got you to confess your feelings for me?" I asked laughing.

We walked hand in hand till we reached our apartment. Back home, we talked about all funny things happened with us in past 10 months. We talked late till night when suddenly I checked time.

"Hey, I think you should go sleep now." I said and he looked at the time.

"Oh my god, it's almost three in the morning. I have to go join office tomorrow." He said worried.

"Yes. Let's get you some sleep." I got up and picked him up in my arms.

"Ohm! Put me down! What are you doing?" he asked confused trying to loosen my grip.

"I am taking you to your room babe." I teased him. I put him down on the bed and gently kissed him on his forehead.

"Good night Chaplin!" I smiled and got up from the bed. He seemed to be relieved seeing me not trying to share a bed with him. But the look on his face made me feel he was still skeptical. Although I do want to do things with him, But I know he will need time. What I feel for him, he has started feeling the same way and that's enough for me.

I walked till the switch board near the door and turned to him.

He now smiled, "Good night Ohmi!"

I switched off the lights and he took his phone out of his bag. I knew he must be willing to call his family, so I walked out of the room and went to the kitchen. I filled up two bottles of water and kept one on the table near his room door. As far as I know him, he wakes up at night for having water in between.