On The Road (Part 3)

The sun rays beat down on me as drops of sweat splash on my busses engine. I'm lucky a gentle breeze is hitting my back, though cold winds have now become a trigger for me. The hum of a car driving by occasionally hits me as my music plays from my phone. It makes it easy to focus as I work on my bust, repairing any ice damage to the engine.

     The rest stop I am parked at is small. The building inside only has a bathroom and two vending machines—generic snacks in one and off-brand drinks. I love my Dorodo chips and a cool can of Soda Flavor MD. I'm being sarcastic if you couldn't tell. The chips taste like cardboard someone rubbed their Cheeto fingers-on, and the drink tasted pretty good, no lie.

     I'm the only car in the lot. It makes sense as the thick threes in these woods make it hard to see from the road. My life has changed these past two weeks. These damn smoke things have still chased me. Every time the sun sets and it's past midnight, they come out. They run after me no matter how fast I drive. They go nonstop like rabid animals until the sun rises.

     No matter where we go, no one notices them. My sleep schedule is messed up. I sleep from the second the sun rises, deep into the afternoon. I save most of my energy for after midnight. It lasted five hours, but I barely made it out alive every night.

     It gets closer too. They haven't broken in since the first night, but they claw at the door, and it gets weaker every day, so do I. The extreme cold can't be good for my health. I don't know what they will do when...if they catch me.

     I've moved from state to state, crossing multiple state lines daily. I drove across Texas all in one day. From South Padre to the state's tip to avoid these demons. I know to some of you that don't sound like a big deal, but use driver, and anyone from there will tell you that's an achievement.

      What was supposed to be a relaxing trip has been a horrifying blur. I'm starting to lose track of where I have been; hell, I don't even know what state I am in. I think Texas was yesterday... or three days ago? I can't remember. 

     I know this rest stop is surrounded by woods, and this road has a high chance of being abandoned. Maybe Oregon, Utah, or even a forgotten section on the American map. I bought a space heater. My hands would get numb when I drove in the night. The closer they got, the more it felt like I was trapped in a blizzard. Tonight though, it's different. I'm making sure.

     CREEK. The front door is close to giving out. Lucky me, the back door is still going strong. I don't know what those short things are, and I haven't found anything about them on the internet.

     I know I can't get rid of them. That doesn't mean I won't try. I got a bat from a store and a couple of nails and screws. Add them together, and I got the Smoke Thrasher 5000. Will it work? No, one got run over by a car and backed up running. I can't get a gun, so I'll feel better beating one to the ground.

     The sun is setting. If this is the last stand for Grant Thornbird, better make it a good one. I'll wait until it hits midnight. I should have snuck a few hours of sleep.

MIDNIGHT

     It's midnight, and I step off the bus. I am in full winter gear. Thermal long tops and bottoms, long sleeve shirt, thick pants, two jackets, and everything else I need. I am a warm walking tank. Through all that, I can feel the temperature drop twenty degrees.

     I hear the wisps of smoke appearing behind the trees, the soft crackle, the lighting bouncing around their bodies. The sky starts to darken. I have my headlights on and a lamp in the middle of the parking lot. It isn't a cheap one. This bad boy is as strong as a stream of light.

     It doesn't take long for them to surround me. Some peak from behind trees; their bark is frozen. The mumbles have a soft echo as the woods fill with their voices. 

MANY

You're here! You're here! 

You're here!  Stay. Stay. 

No running. No running. 

No running.

     The light of their eyes peeks at the edge of the lantern's light. My bus is positioned well enough that if I want to make a getaway, I can. Kew word, if I want. No other car in the parking lot, and I'm alone. This ends tonight. It has to. I don't know how much I can take.