MISSING AISLE (PART 17)

The bird readies to fire another blast but stops. Every one of my glass monsters stops moving. The bird's eyes examine each glass soldier, then melt into a puddle. Its eyes instantly jolt to me. I sheath my sword and put away the shield.

The bird releases a screech that tears the meadow in half. Some stars are snuffed out like candles. The island crumbles more, but I don't move, I nearly piss myself, but I don't move. The beast charges at me. Instead of flying, it runs on the ground to further intimidate me. I still don't move. Its beak is wide open, and I now know the horrors of the inside of a bird's mouth. The endless rows of sharp teeth will forever haunt me. I am about to be eaten.

A gust of grass and dirt hit me. The bird stops centimeters from me. It watches for any movement. I felt my back ache, so I shifted. I was in the bird's mouth in the blink of an eye. Still on the ground, and it hasn't clamped down on me.

RYE

I don't want to fight anymore.

The bird doesn't move.

RYE

I'm sorry I attacked you. I won't ever do it again.

The bird steps back and closes its beak, still observing me.

RYE

I don't want to fight anymore. 

In those other areas, I felt I needed to fight.

 In some of them, that was true, so I did. In others, 

I made the choice not to. When I came face 

to face with you. You were asleep but so enormous. 

A ferocious beast that gave me this 

primal fear as if I was facing death itself. 

At the same time, you had me mesmerized by 

your beauty. At that turn, I ran on instinct.

 I only did what I felt I needed to do, 

not what was right. Thats not what I want. 

I don't think that is what you want. 

I will head to the exit. Here.

I pull out a to-go box of my burger and fries I got before coming here. Kurt and I make it a tradition to eat together after I fail. It was my turn to pick up the food. For added insurance, I gave Kurt's order as well.

RYE

I know this doesn't make up for what I did, 

but I will return and make it up to you. 

Somehow, and someway.

The bird continues to watch. After a deep breath, I walk toward theexit. I make sure not to run or make any sudden movements. It watches me thewhole time, but it's no longer standing. It sits on the ground, never takingits eyes off me. I make it across the destroyed island to a floating exit sign.I don't know what's waiting for me on the other side. I pass the threshold andam hit with a blinding light and a loud POP!