MISSING AISLE (PART 15)

With my break about over, I make my way to the next island. Waiting for me is the monstrous mammoth with a thick body anaconda replacing its trunk. I have tried sneaking past it, but it never works. The snake's sense of smell is more potent than any animal in the natural world. The solution to this island is actually simple.

Out of the fanny pack, I pull out the never-ending deodorant. It smells incredible and unlimited, but it has one drawback. I have it wrapped up in bacon strips. Before the mammoth can make a move, the snake eyes my surprise. I throw it at the snake. Its jaw unhinges wide, and it bites down on the bacon-wrapped snack.

I watch it chew, its eyes glowing with joy. Three, two, one, crunch. The snake breaks the deodorant and spits out as many chunks as possible. It's too late. The side effect has already kicked in. It tastes like garbage.

I learned when I STOP, I try to eat it once and start to gag. A sight that confused me as they don't have tongues or stomaches. It was either trying to fake it to mock me, or it tasted that bad. I licked it after, and it was that bad. Then, the idea popped into my head.

The snake vomited all over the ground as the mammoth eyes flooded. No matter how many times I try this trick. It still falls for it every time. Oddly enough, snakes don't have taste buds, or the chemical makeup of the deodorant is that bad. Maybe since it's connected to the mammoth, they share tastebuds. Either way, it works.

I walk past the mammoth as it flings around, but the snake's body is hurled at me, but I block it with the shield. I shouldn't take it easy. My walk became a sprint off the island.

The island after is the ghost pharmacies. That was easy. I grabbed a golden key the size of a kitchen knife. On the key are three ruby gems. Fake ruby, according to Kurt, but the magic is real.

RUBY EYE KEY

This key holds three charges. Each charge replenishes after 24 hours after that gems use. You can unlock any lock the key is pointed at.

I point the key at the closed gates on the windows. The mechanical pop of the lock hits the ghosts' ears. I learned through experience I can't outrun what's next. The phantoms in line rush the counter. If I tried to make a break for the island's exit, I would be pummeled under the phantom's soles.

These ghosts are supposed to be intangible, but they only are when they want to. So, my best bet is to stand my ground and use my shield to cut through the crowd. They pound their bodies on my shield as they fight for the first spot on the counter and scream about who needs their medicine the most.

RYE

You know, you all are already dead.

They ignore me. Doesn't matter as I made it to the other side and the island's exit. The next few were another myriad of atrocities. Vampires running a clothing store, a trickster demon who has a game store, a beach with sand dolls, a forest of wolf spiders, and even a jungle where every animal is made of clothing.

Kurt said the trials are replications of other areas of the magical world, or as he said, they are called offline places. There are even other sections of different worlds. To me, that all doesn't matter. I have been beaten, bloodied, and tricked on every one of these islands.

Most importantly, I learned how each of these islands is beaten and how to make it out with only minimal injuries. What gets me is the last island. The one I could never pass. I step through the barrier and enter the final island. It is an open meadow. The sky is bright, and a gentle breeze fills my lungs. The grass is vibrant, and the flowers add a speckle of color. I wouldn't mind taking it easy here if this place wasn't the end.

The tranquility fades as I hear its wings flap in the air. Each flap sends a shock wave through the meadow. I look up and see a familiar sight as it casts an enormous shadow over me. I stare right into its silver eyes.