Receding Tide (Part 1)

THROUGH KATE'S EYE

Great, we are talking about how they met. Now, don't get this wrong off the bat. I don't want you to think I am the best friend who hates her best friend's boyfriend. I like Lou as a person. Dude is a good friend to me, funny, charming, cute, all that good stuff. He is just a shit boyfriend, and Marcy deserves way better.

Now, he is rambling to the cafe owner, who is in all of our business, about when they first met. I remember that day. I can tell it better, but I'll let him continue to say it as it makes him feel better, and we are all tense.

Marcy and I have known each other since high school. We had the same class in the morning and afternoon so after a few days, she approached me and started asking about an assignment on the book we were reading, War of Newts, and we clicked.

It was a simple beginning, but that's what I love about our friendship. That's why we went to the same university and met Mirabelle. A cute red girl with big brains but shallow pockets.

Going to our university racked up a severe amount of debt. We all have it, but she had no control. I could have reined her in and helped, but I didn't have the time with classes. She wanted to eliminate the debt no matter the cost, emphasis on those last four words.

We booked a plane ticket to Puerto Rico, and before I could get a plate of mofongo or a bite of one of the world's best Chinese food, we were on a beach making magic symbols with black sand Mirrabelle brought. She cut her head, and the dark red drops mixed with the sand.

I remember that day so well, I could paint it. From the swim suites, we were wearing. Marcy's bathing suit had flamingos; mine was an all-black two-piece, and Marrbelle was a green one-piece. Even how many circles were in the summoning spells, 34.

Once she chanted the encantation, the water receded, and the black sand floated a few inches in the air as color seeped from the grains, leaving them transparent. When the water comes back, the grains fall, and a shadow looms over us.

LOU (O.P)

Alright...

What stood before us wasn't the enormous muscular sea demon the shadow projected. It wasn't a mystical being of wise ancient magic mystery. Instead, it was some shirtless dude in swim trunks and wet hair. He narrowed his eyes at us, waiting for anything to happen.

LOU

Why did you summon me?

I didn't notice that day, but Marcy would tell me she was instantly smitten. Something about him had her in a trace, and vice versa for Fish Boy.

I was too focused on Mirrabelle's questions and my own. Mirrabel crawled to him with her head down as she began to grovel. On the other hand, I walked right up to him and vomited a question to his face.

Mirabelle

Please, I need your help.

I'll pay for whatever cost you want as long as

it doesn't incur interest. Student loans are killing me!

KATE

You don't look like a sea monster?

Are you magic? Can you teach me?

You can't blame me for trying to learn a thing or two. Either way, it's clear as day Lou was hooked by Marcy. He was called many things in his 19 years of life. The "demon of the trench," "The Sea Titan," "The Sinker Of Continents," but what I know him as is the bumbling over his head fool.

Over our questions, Lou blurts out a stumbled question. I bet he thought he was so smooth.

LOU

I like flamingos!

Maribel and I stared at him as he didn't answer anything we asked. Marcy looked down at her swimsuit and blushed. Another worm got chomped on the hook.

LOU

I mean... I like the flamingos on your suit.

Then they startedtalking, and now they are dating. Marriebel got her deal and now lives inAustin, working in tech. We were on the way to the concert to meet her as Itold her to do, but that wasn't happening. I need to let her know what's up.I'll do it after we eat.