Missing Aisle (Part 7)

Everything is dark when an electric jolt hits my chest. My eyes open, and I stare at the ceiling in the Missing Aisle. My body is sore, and my fingers run over a gash on my arm. I feel broken, and it doesn't help that I see Kurt's golden ring emerald eyes hovering over me.

KURT

Looks like you lost.

RYE

What happened to me?

KURT:

Well, you were about to die. 

The dungeon has a fail-safe, and it recognizes 

that you have no more moves left, so to speak. 

The last possible millisecond pulls you out at 

that right moment before you are about to die.

RYE

You saved my life?

KURT

Deadman can't pay off their debts. 

Speaking of which, it's time to pay yours. 

You will also pay this month's dues to me and 

every subsequent month. Failure to do so will 

cause the slugs to return and take your soul. 

Though once every month, you can attempt to 

clear your debt and try the dungeon again.

I died. I mean, I almost died. I remember the monsters coming after me, and I guess i almost died. I don't even know how. Kurt helps me on my feat. Every twitch, every move, my body cries in pain. I pull out my credit card, and Kurt snatches it. A register appears in a poof of smoke, and he swipes my first of many, many payments. That swipe hurt most of all.

KURT

See you in a month. Oh, and don't 

forget the frying pans are in aisle 20.

Within a blink, I was no longer in the missing aisle, and now I was in front of aisle 20. I go in and spend fifteen minutes picking one out. I felt the pain of another credit card swipe and returned to my one-bedroom apartment. I walked straight to my bedroom, dropping my pan on the carpet and hitting my pillow with the back of my head.

I hold the stress ball up. It's back to its vibrant red. What am I supposed to do? My mind fills with a way to make extra cash. I bought a ball that cost the same as a new house or a luxury car. Yes, I get its magic, thats amazing, but how am I supposed to be okay with putting myself in mountains of debt.